Chapter 5 : A matter of loyalty

The girl walked with the queen in a long corridor until they reached the palace, from there, they reached another palace nearby, through a common garden.

And eventually, through fancy hallways and lengthy stairs, they finally reached the inside of the queen's bedroom.

"Wait here". The queen delivered her first order but her tone was different. It was more like a request rather than an obligation. It was strange given how superior she was.

Diana nodded orderly, sitting on the queen's comfy bed. She immediatly felt how soft the sheets were. It felt like sleeping on the clouds. The appearence of the room was gorgeous. There was fancy stuff every corner. The lady of the palace herself was a piece of art on her own. 

Her head ached, Tempered by the injury on her face for one and the present situation as another subject to worry about.

Her eyes snooped around the room as the queen opened her closet, looking for something. Diana, however, got hooked by a certain figure on the left wall.

Diana examined the portrait for some moments. A large painting of the queen with two boys looking just the same, along with a middle age man carrying a royal mace.

Diana examined the portrait for some moments. That must be her family. But something was out of its place. The husband was not the same person she was holding hands with two minutes ago. What happened to her husband? And now that she is recapping... there was no sign of any of the two twins.

The queen noticed Diana's sneaky eyes back there, and just the same time her fingers got what she wanted.

A bandage.

She approached Diana and told her to hold still as she rolled bandages around her injury, patching her up and stopping the bleeding from further messing up her face.

During the process, Diana was unsure of what was coming next. She should thank the queen for what she had done earlier, however, now that she expressed a perfectly bad impression to the royal family. She decided to remain silent instead. Part of her was still feeling embarrassed about what happened with the king. How she messed up widely and opened her mouth where silence and compliance were the keys to her survival.

She kept noticing the queen, as quiet and obedient as she could, till something stole the attention of her eyes...

A glimmer, not from a source certain light but its reflection. She barely contained her confusion when she came to realise what was going on.

There was a tear gliding on the queen's cheek. The queen didn't even try to hide it or wipe it out.

Diana couldn't help her curiosity about the reason that made such a high-figure person cry. If anything, she herself could be a factor contributing to her sadness.

Does she love the new king that much?! Diana wondered despite such possibility being far from truth by oceans.

Scared to stick her nose more into what was clearly not her business, she just waited put till her mistress finished dressing the wound.

After making sure the bandages were organized on her maiden's head, she sat next to her on the bed. While Diana was feeling out the dressing on her head, covering the scar, her queen was sobbing next to her in peace.

Both sat there, staring at the floor for a minute.

"You have Edward's eyes". The queen spoke through her cracked voice.

Diana didn't respond. She didn't know what to say or who's Edward. Or if she was supposed to respond in the first place.

"I am talking to you, you know". The queen confronted Diana.