Chapter 22: Welcome to the heart of slavery

The girl did bury herself under the coins, seconds before one of the survivors came back to check his blood money.

"Phew! The money's cart is still here" shouted a soldier to another.

"Jeez, Thanks the heaven," he said with relief. "Should we count it, uh... just to be sure?"

The girl's heart skipped a beat. she couldn't move a muscle, breathe or get her dagger to defend herself.

"...And risk my head for counting some coins. Me after you !"

Diana felt relief.

With the battle ended and the money is safe, The soldiers regrouped after the battle. Two of them took the role of driving the horses like usual. Without ever knowing of the additional hidden cargo they had to pull.

The girl slowly emerged her face to see the cloth covering the cargo above her,  as she got up from beneath the sea of coins to get little fresh air entering her crushed lungs.

"You have a way in, now what is next?" the girl thought. She did not have an answer. All those days of planning, and practicing shooting with her bow. were just to help her reach the castle not telling her a word about what she should do once she gets inside and how she would get her father out. If he was there...

It was a suicide sneak attack. If she was caught, she would be lucky if those animals sold her as slaves and didn't...

"No, think positive! Turning back is not an option now, You must focus".

"Ok, 90 men crowding in one castle must be overwhelming. As slavers, they must have servants of their own. A humble servant under their eyes could be a good way to slip in" the girl guessed.

"I must also put in mind how I should act if I was spotted as an intruder, I need an escape route"

Unfortunately, when the cargo arrived and the new plan was made (the one that is in effect now). She abandoned all of her tools (that included the bow) along with her horse in the forest. All she had left is her faithful dagger.

" I need to improvise there. What else should I do..." the girl kept daydreaming and planning every possible way to and out of the castle, adding consequences to each scenario regardless of how foolish it could be.

Suddenly the girl noticed how the cargo wheels were hitting different landscapes, she wasn't moving on the forest road anymore. The wheels were moving on stone terrains.

She was closing on the castle.

The girl's heart echoed inside her chest. She could hear more men outside, about 20 not including the guards who were returning. She must find a way to leave the cargo.

the cargo stopped

and the girl waited patiently

then she heard a loud voice of moving chains, the sound kept getting louder until it stopped with a big crack ... a crack of a steel gate. the cargo was entering the castle. Diana who was on maximum high alert dared to take a peek at her surrounding from underneath the cloth.

She didn't see much of the castle but she noticed how the walls were fortified by bowmen and anti-siege weapons like large crossbows and numerous ballistics behind the wall to counter anyone who dares to enter The mighty Red Castle. The girl backed away, she thought how lucky she was to find this cargo on that day or she would have dealt with all those guards.

During her stay in the cargo, she heard a soldier shouting at a woman.

She thought, "Strange, I thought that only male soldiers used this castle," the girl noticed. She was ready to make her next move once a window was opened.