Chapter 11: Unleashed

Louis speaks

"5 years ago. Give or take, I don't quite remember when it did happen but I am sure it was before Wain reached the kingship.

My family and I were living on the outskirts of a town. A huge one goes by the name Zenda as I told you earlier.

On one normal day, I went to a tavern with a friend. Trying to kill time with some fun away from my strict military father.

It was morning. People filled the streets as usual. There were smiles and joy everywhere. Despite how my town can be depressing for new visitors because of how poor some parts may appear. But it was my home, and I accepted it as it is.

All was fine. Then suddenly during our chit-chat, a shouting man rushed through the doors of the Tavern, shouting that the town was under attack.

Fear struck the attendees in their cores and naturally, they dispersed out of the tavern, and I assumed they went to their homes to check on their families.

By instinct, I did the same. I rushed off my chair, accidentally smashing my drink to the floor, as I ran towards the Batwing door.

I can't describe it to you. What was the sight that I saw out there. The Town was on fire, with flames that reached the clouds. People were running everywhere as the town centre bells erupted in alarm. Helplessly shouting for people to endure a long catastrophic day.

 It was chaos.

From the info, I managed to get from one of the protectors. I concluded that we were under attack by a large army of bandits who wanted our town's demise.

I didn't know what to do but follow the horde and return home and hope I didn't lose any of my family to those wretched invaders.

I ran into streets of blood. Corpses everywhere. It was a war that broke out turning my hometown into an open arena between the bandits and whoever was left of the garrison.

I was about to lose my mind about how brutal humans can get, maybe way more than animals. It may be because I was always shielded behind a life of aristocracy that I never saw the other grisly nature of human beings.

I could hear the screams of the people crystal clear as they tried purposely to escape their entrapped houses and burn alive in their own homes, where those poor people's flesh dissolved from above their bones, and the details of their bodies diminished within the yellow sparking flames.

I saw women crying in bitterness, hugging the corpses of their beloved slaughtered husbands. Stray children everywhere, those who might have been turned into orphans or just waiting for death while walking the bloody endless streets.

The slamming of the melee weapons rang threatening. Telling me where the angel of death is lurking. Alarming me of where the battle was going on between the bandits and the garrison. But random as it is, It was every man and family for themselves where every house was like a castle under attack and the families were its defenders.

Witnessing and absorbing all of this, hammering down on me. I ran Like a little fox in his torched forest. I was paranoid, that I looked off my back multiple times to see if I was followed.

I wanted to close my eyes and wake up from this nightmare. I tend to imagine myself on the floor awakening from this mad dream as a result of overdosing myself with alcohol by mistake.

Despite my self-denial. My brain refused to collapse for a reason. I didn't know that my mind could endure such fury...till I was forced to halt by the horrific sight of what I saw.

I tried to hold my tears while I was breathing fast as I saw most of my neighbours flat on the street, already turned into motionless dead bodies on the dirt. Bleeding in the open sight or already cooked to death in their houses.