Chapter 13: Friend of the law

As they drew near the Town, the couple and Alfred disembarked, they could see the mighty 30 feet wall of Zenda standing tall on their left side.

The men of the queen had accomplished their orders and turned around to return to the canterpool. Happy that they didn't lose their heads during their successful escorting mission.

The couple with Alfred continued on foot for a while, stretching their arms and leg now and then. They could feel the chilling stray wind of midnight twigging at them, encouraging them to stick to each other to protect themselves from the cold air.

The tiredness and exhaustion had begun taking effect on Diana and Louis. Their exchanged yawns were signals for them to hurry up inside the town. That's when it came to Diana.

"Say, speaking of Zenda. How did the bandits overcome these high walls?" She asked with her intelligent face looking at Louis.

"They didn't. These walls weren't there to protect us when that jinxed day came. It was exactly the opposite. After the battle ended, the former king knew about the incident and he acted willingly to build these walls, and that's why the citizens of Zenda always remembered him with gratitude and good mention whenever his name pops up in a subject"

"Wow, see uncle, not all the_"

"Hold on" He cut her off with his arm. "Do you know those two?" He said while pointing at two soldiers guarding the gate.

Louis's eyes narrowed. He gazed as he see the symbolic armor of the soldier.

Alfred motioned for them to stay low as he noticed the soldiers closely "I think the three of us know who that iron suit belongs to, right?". Alfred put down his premise.

The couple nodded while Louis cursed his luck. Wain was looking for them inside Zenda.

"Come on, you rigid king. Can't you just let it go and move on!". Louis complained, clutching his lips.

"We need to leave you two before we are spotted," said Alfred

"No way, my father and my sister are there and I'm afraid that soldiers will interrogate them to get to us. My father is a tough man, but my innocent little sister won't stand 5 minutes in their seamy hands"

"Well, I don't care a niche about that! I don't know what did you get yourself into, prince. But you won't involve my niece further in this!"

He turned towards Diana. "Grab yourself, we are heading towards Endora, NOW"

"Then go alone". She grabbed Louis's hand tightly, violating her uncle's order. "I didn't ask for your help nor your custody, Uncle. Because, unlike your attitude towards my father, my love for my Louis is true, I won't let go of the man who risked everything for me..."

"Diana..." Louis trailed.

"No, I won't..." she shouted with a torn voice.

"Honey, you are crushing my hand"

"I.., Oh sorry". she let go

The pioneer blinked multiple times with a straight line mouth at the two, waiting for this farce to stop.

"Listen, sir." Louis cleared his throat picking a step forward toward Alfred, putting his taller body in front of Diana, neglecting the surprised look on her face while his gaze headed up towards the pioneer.

"What Diana was trying to say is that we already chose this path the moment we admitted our love to each other in the palace. But now, with my family entangled in this mess, I can not just ditch them in the dark like that..."