Chapter 21: Concealed

Diana's arc

"Ugh, why do we just take them to the castle instead, I am getting tired from this journey every month"

"Because no one will pay a coin for slim skeleton women or hungry children and what's left of the men there can barely walk...wait, what's that smoke?

"Looks like someone is messing with us!"

"Everyone pull your swords! We could be dealing with bandits here, keep your eyes on the woods". The leader of the group shouted while the men made a circle around the cart protecting their raped blood money.

They knew that the tribute behind them was worth more than their dispensable breaths. If any one of them fell during a battle or was injured, it would be a less mouth to share with.

There wasn't honour among thieves here because simply put, they were far more ambitious than them.

The girl's eye was so focused on her prey. She noticed that the guards were on high alert so her window was very tight and it was still dangerous to move because there were still four guards near the cargo.

She tried to stick to her plan and she didn't expect that nature won't approve of it. 

A drop hit her nose.....

Then another one hit her head...

One of the guards extended his hand in front of him, looking upwards, to the high greyish skies. He knew it was winter, but 

The girl was about to explode out of rage. She was so close to success or that's what she hoped. She finally surrendered to the hard fact that her fire decoy had become useless.

She frowned and admitted her defeat as she was trying to swallow the cumulative anger inside her. According to the plan, the girl should remain hidden until the foul victorious soldiers pass her destroyed decoy then she would follow them closely to the castle

But nature didn't finish her talking yet...

"WOLVES!". One of the soldiers panicked, pointing to a pack of 6 wolves approaching from the left side of them.

"They must have been drawn to the fire!  EVERYONE TO ARMS !" shouted the leader. 

The girl was stunned by the sight of the wolves, her heart began to race

The girl was stunned by the sight of the wolves, her heart began to race. Maybe the forest is giving her another chance!

But that one is deadly...

The alpha of the pack closely approached and so the wolves did follow. The men watched the predators of the woods approaching. No one told them that they should expect a whole pack of angry and hungry beasts coming from the wild.

The girl remained hidden watching as the 4 leg savages slowly approached the soldiers with groaning voices and mouths full of saliva and an appetite supported by the natural instinct of survival. The battle was inevitable.

The alpha rushed to lead the attack. They saw the fur filled assassin got its fangs in the neck of the first trooper in the way. He kept shaking his prey viciously, tearing the flesh and spilling blood all around till a fresh lake of red liquid was created

When the 19 other soldiers saw the blood fountain coming from the screaming soldier, they lost their courage and their organized lines. Their spirits were no longer able to face nature in its glorious awakening fury.

After he ended his rampage on the soldier, the alpha raised his chin, revealing the interior of its mouth. Saliva draining form its mouth mixed with the blood of its motionless prey. His eyes met the sky and howled a staggering shout  to the heavens, while his two front paws were on top of his defeated opponent.

 It was like sounding the battle horn.

The wolves charged all at once like fingers in one mighty fist as if the beasts were infected by something. They were ferals and ruthless. No human could dominate their power in the pack and certainly not a stick of steel will drive them back.

 And like a dinner bell, they clashed with the soldiers!

In the middle of the chaos, the cargo's horses screamed in fear and they made a run for it, towards the woods...

Straight towards Diana...

The girl rushed from her hidden place to intercept the frightened horses.

When they saw her, they halted. With a strong voice, jumping at two feet.

"Calm down, easy there, you are safe"

The girl repeated; trying to calm the two horses. The fact that none of the two understood each other, but for some reason, the horses found safety in Diana's words and calmed down after some whispering and some rubbing on their heads.

After she stopped the wild horses, she thought for a moment. The battle took place about half a mile away from her hiding spot and from the shouting and howling, it was far from finished. This proved a perfect opportunity for Diana. However, there was a catch. The bow and rope will be left behind.

 Furthermore when she jumped inside. She was shocked at how small the cart was. So small that she had to bend her knees to fit in. Those elements were completely overlooked when the new plan came into effect.

Knowing that the guards could come at any time, she quickly made sure that the cloth covering the cargo was organized just like how it was left and did not appear suspicious in any manner.

It was dark and peaceful inside the cargo yet it wasn't luxurious nor comfortable at any rate. She buried herself in the bed of round coins, barely breathing. The raindrops were still pouring on the cloth making a popping sound that irritated the girl's nerves.

Time passed and nothing happened. "Could the wolves have killed all the soldiers?". She thought. With silence dominating, the girl was about to take a peek risking everything because of her impatience, to see what was the outcome of the combat. 

"FOUND IT" echoed one of the soldiers through the forest. "They survived the wolves" She whispered to herself

She heard footsteps coming and closing. Her heart was banging inside her chest; praying that the soldiers wouldn't uncover the cloth to check the money.

...Although...that's exactly what happened.