Chapter 23 : False Promise

Later that night when all servants returned to their quarters.

Diana entered the quarter to find that the 'beds' were just light white sheets on the ground which barely protected against the cold stoned floor.

Maria offers gladly to share her place with much-obliged pleasure. As expected from her, she was sharing even the slightest comfort with Diana. She was always the best friend indeed when in need.

Having Maria in this dark time greatly boosted her morale. As her closest friend, Maria always had found the shining side in the darkest and most horrible times and places. She had a clean spirit just like Diana.

The day slowly came to an end and Everyone went to sleep except Diana, who was lost in her thoughts. "How would I reach his cell?" Diana kept looking for a solution.

While her mind was demanding an answer, suddenly a tall shadow crept in front of her.

A tall woman with an angry face.

"Why are you here?!" The woman asked with a firm voice clutching Diana's mind from her fictional world.

Diana met the silky-haired woman with a confused look. "Ummm... I am sorry, are you talking to me?" she pointed to herself.

"DO I LOOK A FOOL TO YOU!" she yelled, waking everyone in the quarter.

Diana's confusion intensified and didn't find an answer.

"I know you are not one of us, I know every girl here and you are new" she continued with confidence and a sly smile.

When the awakened Maria saw what happened, she tried to intervene

"She was captured today, calm down-"

"Mind your own business, will ya?" she said with great hostility. She then faced Diana again. "Last time little girl, why are you here?"

"I was captured by the same men that captured you, believing me or not is up to you" Diana fiercely stood her ground.

The woman burst into laughter. "You just proved to me you are not one of us, I never mentioned that I was captured. Because I wasn't. You just proved my suspicious true"

Diana paused. "Who is this woman and how did she recognize me as an outsider?!" She thought.

"You didn't answer me, Fine with me, it won't change anything as long you keep your small hands away from trouble" she ended with a smirk and left to her place.

Everyone exchanged questioning looks with each other yet none dared to defy the woman.

Diana was boiling inside. "Who was that mad woman that just passed ?" She asked angrily.

Maria whispered "Gunnora...she is the oldest servant here, some say that she has an affair with the commander, others say that he loves her"

Diana gasped "So that's why she is talking with great confidence"

"Yes, but Beware, no one dares to cross her. She knows every servant by name so she could have already known that you are an outsider at first glance"

On hearing that, Diana took another look at Gunnora, who already was resting on her clean sheet. She was the oldest woman alright, judged by appearance, Diana gave her mid-30s.

She had Diana notice how clean she was. All servants without exception wore dirty and had improper clothes while her clothes were oddly clean. Also, most of the girls were in miserable shape. However, for Gunnora. By looking at her physical form, it was obvious that she was in good shape and healthy all the time.