Chapter 34: A General in Disarray

The first light of the day comes steadily as The sun barely appears from behind the horizon. The camp was quiet, torches still lit with some few guards on watches. It was peaceful and chilly, you can hear the breezy wind sounds, bashing the tents from outside.

All that while the sleepy Louis slowly brushes the entrance of Aurora's tent away. scratching his eyes while yawning. He didn't sleep well last night. He never slept in a tent before, nor did he hope to ever again.

He bent his back to try to shake the pain from it. It wasn't the perfect bed to sleep on inside.

Looking around, he realized he woke up too early, he wasn't familiar with the guards to begin a talk with them.

So to waste some time, He thought of going for a walk around the camp. But The camp was massive. Thousands of tents were spread over beyond eyesight. Every tent was exactly the same as the other. He certainly will get lost around here easily.

He sighed.

"Life is not easy outside the palace, My father was right after all" Louis smirked to himself. Remembering the past.

Scratching the negative memory. He tried to focus. He wanted to meet Joseph urgently, to know what would be his next move. So, he decided to wait for the sun to shine even more, leaving some space for Joseph to get some rest and for the rest of the camp to wake up.

He turned around back to his tent when a voice shouted: "Hey little Hunter, want some beer?" A familiar guard's voice echoed loudly to his right and got his attention of Louis.

It was the same harsh guard from before, Who intercepted him with the sword earlier when he first arrived. He was inviting Louis for a drink around the campfire.

"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping at this hour?" Said Louis while approaching the man. Happy that he found some company to spend time with.

"Yea well, (*snort*) it is my shift. Besides we should be ready for the enemy...

Heh, though I doubt they will go anywhere. Bet you, they're warming themselves with the remains of the burning houses in that town while we speak. Everyone in their country would Speak of their 'heroic' actions and glorious feats" he ended by throwing a piece of wood to the fire

"Well, that's another good reason why you should chop some of their heads off your land, right?"

The man chuckled in return "Yea Whatever, here you go" he handed the boy a wooden mug full of some yellowish drink.

Both raised their mugs towards each other for a cheer. But once Louis's tongue touched the drink. He immediately spitted it away. "What is this?! , it looks like and tastes like a donkey's piss!" He stared at the cup with a disgusted face. His stomach refused to let the liquid reach it by any means.

The man cracked into a sound laugh. "Because that's for real men, little boy. Top quality is for the lazy ass Aristocratics" he chuckled.

Louis smiled back.

Although Louis was slightly offended and didn't agree, yet, the man looked like he would use a laugh. However, the soldier was too consumed in the conversation to notice the figure approaching him from behind.

"Speaking of the devil" Louis's eyes widen recognizing Joseph moving quietly towards them.

The soldier looked back, he freaked out as soon as his eye recognize the general.

"SIR!" He shouted, Stomping his boot to the ground and hands above his head. Hurriedly to give his military salute.

"Get your ass back to your post, soldier!" Joseph said with a shocking strong appearance. The soldier left with a lowered head without saying a word, taking a last glance at Louis before fetching his spear and leaving.