Chapter 14: The Captain

"People are dispersing. Time to move" Alfred said while freeing Louis of his caging hands.

It was very late at night. People yawned as they went back to their homes. Sharing whispers and gossip about the outlaw that once lived among them. Not every night their peaceful town gets a visit by the king's soldiers.

The streets were emptied from people. They have seen enough action for tonight.

Diana put her hands on his shoulder, her lips drew in a faint smile. "Louis...". Her voice trailed without an end.

"You're feeling sorry for me already, ha?". Louis said in a hidden resentment tone, avoiding her gaze as he shoved away the dirt that stuck to his royal clothes. While twisting his arm left and right to shake off the pain that Alfred intentionally caused to his limbs.

"Actually, I am more pissed at your father right now. Just thought if you--"

"Cared about him?" He grinned with a sound mocking laugh "Not even in a blue moon! My father is a military man who values his code over his sole son. Hell, Diana. He didn't even visit me back at the hospital. Said he was on an urgent mission and that he could not leave his post. What more proof do you need?"

He turned to look at Diana in the eyes and then pointed at his house.

"See that house? Since my mother's death, he turned it into a boot camp. I maybe am a prince in people's eyes but in reality, my life is sure as hell a soldier! He is torturing me daily with that perfect disciplinary life of his that I began envying my sister for being a girl"

Diana blinked. "Is that why you come to visit your aunt frequently? To ease up?"

"More like to escape before I lose my mind...and my father"

Alfred sighed and stepped forward to talk. "Listen, kid, People don't choose their parents, however, you do have the choice to decide how your life would move on with your pa. Go talk to him. Most of the town had already gone asleep in their homes. It's late anyway, no one will notice"

Louis stared with a frustrated face. He didn't like the last part of the advice, especially when it comes from a person like Alfred. A man with a strong and harsh personality just the same as his father.

"How about I go with you. Two is better than one, right?". Diana approached him.

"R-Right...". He Stuttered a bit as he examined her sea-color eyes and her mini-sized lips that spread into a faint beautiful smile that shows honesty in her proposal. He resisted his urging desire to hug her and talk to her freely like they did back in the woods. Not with her crow-shaped uncle standing next to her.

"What did you just say?!". Alfred objected to Diana's talk. "Didn't you just say that this man had captured you a year ago!"

"I did". But Louis got this bounty because of our love. Moreover, he saved my life. So, it's only right for me to hand it back..."

"Wh-What...Humph...Why do I even bother arguing...Fine, do what you like. I will try to find a free room in this big town. When you two finish, come join me to prepare our next move" Alfred said as he descended back to the ground floor safely and the couple soon followed after a while.

Louis got down first then he extended his arm to receive her body before landing on the ground.

"Want to me do the knocking?". She suggested while their arms still combined

"I am pretty sure that is not a good idea. Let me bear this curse instead...".

 And Louis was right. Because now and on second thought of it. Liam was about to murder another man who shared almost the same rank as he did. If that's how he treated his fellow brother-in-arms. What would be his reaction when he sees her out of the palace?