Chapter 35 : Shadows in the woods

"So do you have a plan or not?" Said Louis, referring to 'Nale', the occupied city near the borders.

"We didn't receive any order yet from high command, Son. Despite sending a group of scouts to them telling them about the earlier battle results". He frowned "As much as I admire your enthusiasm, We need to wait, Louis. We need more men"

Louis's eyes dropped. Every minute passing could put Diana's life in danger.

"But what if they attacked us again?"

"Unlikely, this camp is well hidden, and to be double sure I had already appointed 10 watching patrols just in case.

Come on, let's wake those lazy ladies up" Ending his argument with Louis. Joseph stood up to begin his day.

The rest of the day was all about Joseph trying to study the region very well, noticing every way in and out. Every scenario was possible, observing the men's morale and lastly trying strategies with his tactician.

Louis on the other hand spent half of his day with Aurora to gain some of her knowledge of the medical herbs and their appropriate usage while the other half of the day he spent training with some soldiers, increasing his bond with them as well as his fighting skills.

Until the night came...

"RED FLAG! Orders from the royal palace!" A shout burst as two horsemen carrying red flags were spotted entering the camp. The whole camp was surprised and eager for the new orders.

Joseph, the injured commander. Got out of his tent to welcome the two messengers, tempted by what they carried with them.

The messengers saluted and delivered the rolled message as ordered. They also had to wait for his reply.

He unrolled the paper, marching his eyes upon the written speech.

He kept reading in silence, revealing nothing to his loyal men or to Louis, until he finished reading...with a smile.

"Cheer up, boys! Another 10,000 men are on their way to reinforce us!" He shouted with a spirit.

In reply, The whole camp filled with courage and high morale, cheered raising their weapons in the air.

"Alright, Listen up!" he yelled in command.

"Our allied army would reach us after 2 days of travel, which gives us a good time to prepare our counterattack strategy. So, rest up and eat well cause we are going back to that hell again!

Another powerful long cheer echoed, with supported fists in the air.

Despite being from another land, Louis felt so much patriotism coming from those men. They were prepared to defend their homeland even if the stakes were too high. He wished if his people had the same level of loyalty to their country and their king.

He wished that in better days, the two nations could prosper together.

However, something was itching him, the feeling that he is helping his enemy to face his own people, was this the right thing to do? He always Imagine the condemning looks of his father to him

Another big sacrifice he bore for Diana for sure.

...

The day ended, and everyone called it a night except for Louis, he wanted to help more.

He took permission to join the soldiers as a nightguard to watch while others slept. Not knowing what awaited him this very night, he was lent a medium-sized sword which he knew how to use from before and a light breastplate matching his size.