Chapter 37: A Blaze of Glory

"Looks like it's you and me again, buddy," said Louis, staring at his small dagger.

The dagger that once helped him deal with the past, now ~ once again ~ is helping him to regain what's lost.

He was on a high cliff. Resting on one knee. Alone again. That cliff served as watchtower. He could see the lights of the town of Nale from afar.

He was afraid and breathing heavily. Nothing prepared him for what was coming next. Except the few encouraging words of Joseph, and that plant...

"When in injury, chew it then spit the juice on the spot" Louis recalled what Aurora said. When she handed him a white flowering plant called 'Yarrow'.

His eyes met the sky.

A full white moon welcomed him with its bright shining light.  And a memory...

On a night like this, he introduced himself to Diana. At the palace. When he knocked on her room's door. That face that greeted could never be released from his memory. He couldn't control the smile that sneaked on his nervous face everytime he sees her in his mind, he missed her.

A horn voice cried on the horizon through the woods

Then another horn followed it...

Then another one afterward...

This wasn't a musical parade. It was better...

It was an orchestra. A melody of an upcoming battle, where soon enough the notes will be mixed with the blood of mighty men fighting to the very end of their breathing, with hearts marching together like organized war drums slowly building the momentum.

It was also the signal for all the backstabbers everywhere to begin their operation. For Louis, It was time to act.

The battle for Nale was on doors.

***************************

Louis jumped anxiously, descending back to the forest.

He started running, heading east. To Nale. Sweating waterfalls. He didn't stop running. Nothing would stop him, not even his unprepared body.

But He did stop to a worrying sight.

A huge yellow colour stained the sky far ahead

A huge yellow colour stained the sky far ahead. The town structure itself was anonymous from the flames and smoke everywhere. If that's the sight from above how does it feel to feel inside this furnace?

His eyes widened as soon as he saw the source of that corruption. He looked up and saw a large volley of yellowish dots hugging the sky, above his head. Flying towards the town. Those were hundreds of fire arrows seeking their target.

He narrowed his eyes, that's where his girl is right now. He needs to get her out. Taking a deep breath. He began sprinting again towards the town.

....