Chapter 31: The Fall of Nale

Somewhere in the middle of the night.

The duo was still walking towards the border. Along the road, they didn't see a single town up ahead. Only houses now and then. they were walking for about 6 hours straight now.

They were lost in time and didn't know whether they would reach the borders early before the lockdown or they were marching to the closed borders.

"Can we...stop...for some...time?" said Louis out of breath and energy, leaning on his knee

"No!" she shouted. "We need to keep moving forward" and just before she finished, her feet surrendered under the pressure of exhaustion, fell on her knees with a gasp.

Louis stared at her with a compassionate smile despite his internal objection to how Diana was pushing herself up.

He kneeled beside her, resting his hand over her back. "My dear, I know your dreams, but I also know your capability as well. You need to rest, your body can't take much more!"

She looked at those brown eyes of his. They speak the truth. The very truth she tried to deny for some time.

She sighed.  "Fine, but just because I am hungry" she chuckled. He caught her and got her up as they went for a dead fallen tree on the side of the road.

They let their backs rest to it. Their feet were aching and swollen. They spent the last of their energy bringing some small wooden sticks, to start their small campfire.
Louis opened the map he bought. Pointing at the details of the paper." If we continue through this way with the same speed we will reach the borders shortly". Satisfied with how progress they made. They dug into the small meal they had from Tagia. Pleasantly, eating while engaging in pep talks, they were enjoying each other company despite all.

However, under the pressure of pushing themselves to the limit, both of them sunk into a deep sleep. They couldn't open their eyes anymore from fatigue.

Diana cuddled between his arms. Enjoying the warmth of his body facing her freezing body, Shielding herself from the chilly air of the night as they both travel to the dreaming realm.

(We leave our heroes sleeping and take a hop to another action elsewhere near the border, those events happened one day behind the main POV)

"HOLD THE LINE, DON'T LET THEM BREAK THE FORMATION!" Shouted the commander of the battalions guarding the borders against his tower on the front.

The lines of the two armies clashed. The battlefield was a live hurricane spitting bodies, blood, and shouts. Chaos was the dominating element in this haze. No one knew if his life would be spared today or would be stolen at the hands of the enemy blade.

The soldiers slashed each other with swords and whatever tool they could kill with. The amount of bodies stocking the river was so enormous that the water no longer kept its pure tasteless figure.

The situation was like this: 50,000 of Wain's finest men attacked the western border's garrison of 20,000 men. They knew that a battle was lurking on the horizon, yet none ever imagined how that battle would be so horrific and deadly.

The battle began when an all-out attack was upon the garrison which was fortified in a town called "Nale". The town was already fortified by a weak tall wooden wall and a natural border drawn by a shallow river between the two kingdoms.

The town encirclement was the beginning of the long hardship of defending the town and the border from falling. The defense was holding at first, But the numerical advantage had begun to firmly pin the men down.

The General leading the invading forces was labeled by "Blood drinker".

No one knew his real name and if so, it was forbidden to address him by it. He was ruthless scum of human beings when it comes to war. He was a very skilled tactician. He never takes prisoners, except women and only good-looking ones. He didn't lose a single battle due to his high strategy planning and sly intuition.