𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗞𝗜𝗘 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗘!

james yawned, tiredness catching up to her as her eyes struggled to stay open.

after a few seasons of the office, it was 4AM, and james was determined to stay awake for the 3rd night in a row.

after the ghost town, she had been left paranoid, jolting awake with a gasp in the night as her subconscious replayed the fear from that evening.

currently, jake was asleep in james' room, she had told him she wasn't tired and for him to go to sleep, so when he wandered off to james' bed and fell asleep, she situated herself on the couch and watched netflix.

she knew her sleeping habits were unhealthy, but too much had happened to her recently for her to even comprehend, leaving it to the absent part of her mind to bring these worries into the safe space of her dreams.

she sighed, laying down and shutting her eyes for a second.

just a few moments, just a rest.

but this ideology went out the window when her eyes became too heavy to reopen, the woman falling asleep only moments later.

what jake hadn't expected that night was to awake at 5AM  to the sound of cries.

he blearily walked through the apartment to the living area, his eyes becoming clearer eventually, able to see the source of the problem.

and what he saw was james, her sleeping form illuminated by the light of the tv, fidgeting in her sleep, tears rolling down her face.

jake stood, at a loss for what to do. so, he did what he knows best. he turned to his friends.

trap boys

jake
is anyone up?

colby
duh

corey
what's up

sam
i am now

jake
james is freaking out dude

jake
idk what to do

colby
get off ur phone and
comfort her?
colby
dumbass

jake
nonono
jake
she's asleep brother

sam
freaking out how?

jake
*video*

corey
shit

sam
i say just wait for
her to wake herself up
and see how she is then

corey
yeah brother that's
probably all you can do

as jake was texting the boys, his head snapped up at a gasp from the couch, where james had shaken herself awake.

he observed as she sat up, running her hands through her hair and sighing.

he didn't want to scare her, approaching her slowly.

'i'm okay.'

'brother don't be stupid, you're clearly upset.'

'it was just a nightmare, really i'm fine.'

'you sure?'

'pinkie promise.'

and james' heart broke the tiniest bit more as she interlocked her pinkie with jakes, her fingers crossed behind her back.

he smiled at her, satisfied. james never broke promises.

she said goodnight once again, her heart sinking at the lie she just told. she stayed up for the rest of the early morning, jake resurfacing once again at around 9.

and all that was on james' mind was that pinkie promise, and the feeling of the pit in her stomach as she crossed her fingers tight, lying to him blindly.