1

Do you know how many times I looked at a man and thought him. That guy right there. He's the one? Four. And I was wrong about each and everyone before Gage.

Though he is gorgeous. A six-foot-five marine with smooth terra-cotta-colored skin and piercing brown eyes, I didn't like him at first. When we met, Gage Medina was a cocky asshole who told me red-heads were mutants before insisting on calling me Mary Jane on account of my naturally red hair.

If anyone would have told me he was my future husband I would have told them to fuck themselves. Now, we've been married for three years and he kisses me awake every morning after his run.

"Happy birthday to you," Gage's deep sultry voice croons, the scent of crisp apples and spice invading my senses as he kisses my neck and caresses my thigh.

"A little longer?" I request, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"No, it's time to get up. I made breakfast."

I open my eyes to see prince charming still hasn't gotten a haircut. A small crop of dark coils springing from his head.

"Not into it," I declare, reaching up to run my fingers through his hair.

"This?" Gage looks up as though he can somehow see the top of his head. "I kinda like it. You're always telling me to loosen up right?" he says, attempting to sit me up.

Groaning my displeasure I slam my back down to the bed. I don't want to get up yet. My perfect day would be just laying here with the man I love.

"You're twenty-six, Rue," Gage laughs.

"So, it's my day off" I pout, "Love me!"

"I do love you. For nine days after eternity," Gage scoops me into his arms. "But I have plans for you so get your pretty ass up," he says with a kiss.

"Now you're talking," I jump up and turn over.

Gage's eyes flutter as he tries and fails not to laugh. "Is that all you think about?" he asks me. Knowing very well that general anxiety and borderline personality gives me a lot to think about. Getting fucked before we make love is just more pleasant.

"Yes," I sit up on my knees. Removing Gage's shirt and returning to my stance. "You know the drill, Sergeant," I declare, Gage biting his lower lip as he grabs me by the hips.

"Yes, mam."

When we finally make it out of the house, I'm wearing a yellow sundress my best friend Brielle had shipped to me. She and my brother cannot make it to Athens for the party tonight, so she sent Valentino instead. Pairing the high-priced item with some twenty-dollar H&M-shoes ready for our adventure.

"Your car or mine?" I ask as Gage locks the door to our lakeside home.

I don't know why. We live in a very rural part of sleepy hollow, our nearest neighbor across the lake, but I guess you can never be too careful. "Mine, if we drove yours I would have to tell you where we're going."

We're going to the Argosy book store in the city. Manhattan is two hours away. I bet I know a faster way there than he does but I'm not supposed to know what we're doing.

I'm not supposed to know he is taking me to find some rare books to add to my collection lining the walls of our main room. I'm not supposed to know that he had my brother Wrenner call in a favor and bought out my favorite restaurant for a private lunch at four. I'm not supposed to know that when we return from the city all our friends will be here for my surprise party, but Gage should have known Brielle Castillo can not keep a secret.

"Okay," I smile, heading down our small turquoise steps to the candy red dodge challenger he amply named Rue-2 two summers ago. Spinning around and questioning for the third time, "Are you sure I'm dressed, okay?"