21

Trap House was in a gutted warehouse at the Brooklyn Docs. The main room was a large space with paste colored cement walls and columns lit up by flashing strobes and laser lights.

You could feel the music as you made your way down the long dark hall into the center of the building where hundreds of people reveled feeding off each other's electricity.

I love it. Having the most fun I had in over a month until Imani had a bad trip and freaked out. No one else seemed to be phased so I could care less.

"Time to go home!" Sabrina giggled, funneling water into her friend's mouth.

"I'll take you," Fallon volunteered.

I rolled my eyes, turning to walk away but he took my hand. "I'm not going." I tugged free, Fallon meeting me with a confused expression in response.

"Give me a sec!" Fallon called over his shoulder, pulling me to the side.

Fallon was drunk. He didn't sway and spoke in clear and concise sentences, but it was the only time the articulated teen ever cut his words. "I don't know what's goin' on with you lately but this ain't a debate," Fallon simmered.

"I don't know who you think you are talking to, but I'm not the girl who lets guys tell her what to do." I pulled away.

Fallon's eyes softened. He knew it wasn't a fight he would win and so he took a different approach. "I know, I love that. I just don't want to leave you here dressed like this," he reasoned.

It was the wrong response. I couldn't understand what was the difference between my outfit and Sabrina's. I attempted to walk away when Fallon didn't have a reply but he wrapped his arms around me, holding me in place.

"I don't want to fight, Rue," he whispered in my ear.

I didn't either. I also didn't want to be the fifth wheel.

"Fallon, the car will be here in four minutes!" Sabrina called, her voice causing me to deflate in his arms.

"We can come back," Fallon assured me.

My jaw tensed, looking ahead to Jeremiah, arms crossed and biting his lower lip to contain his smile. I figured, why keep chasing Fallon when someone just as good was right there waiting for me?

"I'm not going." I slipped from his arms.

"Don't worry, Fallon." Jerry smiled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "I have her."

Fallon narrowed his eyes, looking from me to his friend skeptically.

"Fallon!" Sabrina called, sounding like an impatient toddler.

"Give me a minute." He bared his teeth.

"Nah, you should go," I said, taking Jerry's hand and disappearing into the crowd.

Jeremiah and I danced in the crowd, unable to help but grow annoyed as it crept closer to midnight. I thought Fallon was going to break his promise. Like me, Sabrina's parents were rarely home, and I was sure that he was there with her legs spread wide.

"Do you want something stronger?" Jeremiah asked as I drank from my water bottle.

"Stronger?" I replied, trying to keep my shorts from riding up.

"No, she doesn't, and ease up before Fallon kills you," Benjamin warned before returning to his conversation with a girl from the rave.

It annoyed me. Fallon wasn't even there and was still somehow telling me what to do. My resentment amplified by Jeremiah's mischievous smile.

"I keep forgetting Fallon runs you," Jerry teased.

"He doesn't," I growled, snatching the flask and taking a giant gulp.