5

"They say you do not notice the moment your life changes forever, that you never know you've walked through a door you can never go back through until you've taken that first step."

― Joel Golby.

My first step into the dark side came in the form of a phone call. A little after midnight, Alexa and her friends were too drunk and too busy having fun to notice I had slipped from the room.

I assumed it was Colleen, not recognizing the New York number displayed on the screen. I had two choices: answer it and hope she believed Alexa was just entertaining guests, or not answer it and risk my mother punishing me for being a heavy sleeper.

I answered. Walking to the back of the outside smoke section to distance from the noise.

"Hello Mother." I tried to hide my nervousness.

"You call your mother, mother?" he asked, a giant smile crossing my face.

It had been over a week since we met, I wasn't expecting him to call. A rush of excitement when I instantly recognized the musical cadence in his voice.

"Hi Kellen." I beamed, moving away from the man suffocating me with his cigarettes. "God, do you smoke?" I thought it was a deal-breaker until I met Fallon.

"Smoke what?" Kellen replied.

"Cigarettes, what else is there?" I giggled.

"That's cute, Red, but no. I don't why?" he asked.

"Just making sure. I didn't think you would call me," I admitted.

"Only simps call the same day," Kellen sighed, "It sounds like you're at a party. Where is it, I'd love to see you."

I told Kellen I was at a club and he said he wouldn't get his fake ID for another week. Asking if I would like to go for a ride.

I didn't think about it. A cute boy I liked wanted to see me and my brain turned off.

"Yes!"

Present: August 7, 2027 10 PM

We laugh while Anastasia complains about Bar Boy's shortcomings. I place my hat in the empty seat beside me before reaching for another beer, struggling to breath.

"I thought that was you," a man says from over my shoulder, the smooth baritone of his voice reverberating in my bones.

Fallon.

My heart flutters, and the temperature rises in the room. An excited smile frozen on my face. I imagine a boyish smile and glowing hazel-green eyes. I don't know why I'm so electrified. I haven't seen that boy in years. Maybe it's the liquor. Maybe it's my experiment down memory lane, but I know my ears have to be playing tricks on me. Or, that's what I think until I see the astonished look on my friend's faces.

Yeah, it's definitely Fallon.

My first love is a little under three years older than me with one of those faces you stopped in your tracks for; I remember Fallon Lynch was annoyingly beautiful for a man with great bone structure and a perfectly symmetrical face. When I last saw him, Fallon had loosely curled dark brown hair, year-round golden sun-kissed skin, and delectable full lips.

I rake my bottom lip teeth. I don't know why, but my heart is pounding.

"I think I drank too much." I say to my friends. "is there a hot guy standing behind me? about six feet, painfully handsome?"

The girls gawk at him. Speechless as they slowly nod their confirmation. Fallon leans in close, sending a tingle down my spine saying, "I've been six one since I was sixteen," before pulling away.