10

There's something about that first like. That magnetic feeling that can almost be mistaken for love. In the beginning, I almost loved Kellen. I'm not sure if it was paranoia from my parents or if something in me just knew he wasn't the one that stopped me, but it felt like I was inches from the edge and too scared to jump.

I was scared of a lot of things back then, most of all I was scared of making Kellen angry until one day he pushed me too far.

I laid on Kellen's bed, scrolling through my phone as he showered for our date. I liked hanging out at the Miller's. It was loud, Kellen's family always buzzing about and yelling, but that was just how they talked; Kellen and Jamal's father, Roy, the quietest of the bunch.

Kellen cursed under his breath as his bedroom door slammed behind me. It had been over an hour since we had arrived at his apartment and he was annoyed his shower had been cut short by his youngest cousin, G.G., unable to hold her urine.

"It took you long enough," I mumbled.

"Don't start," He replied.

It annoyed me. I was timid for him, never wanting to yell and never wanting to make ripples, but his condescending tone created a tidal wave within me.

"And what if I did?" I challenged, standing to find Kellen in nothing but a towel around his waist. "What are you doing?" I gasped.

"Changing?" Kellen squinted his eyes as though it were a stupid question. "My cousin had to use the bathroom," he explained, dropping his towel to the floor.

I quickly turned away, Kellen laughing and telling me it was nothing I hadn't seen before. He was wrong. I barely looked. My eyes usually closed when we kissed or focused on his lustful expressions.

"Get dressed," I ordered, laying on my stomach and looking out the window ahead.

"Fine," He sighed.

I listened to him shifting around in the dresser drawer at the edge of the bed. Kellen broke the silence and said, "You know... we've been dating for three months."

"I know." I smiled despite myself.

I was still mad at him for insinuating a game of spin the bottle made me a slut on the walk there but I adored Kellen and couldn't help but smile at him for no reason at all.

There was slight pressure beside me, my body tensing while I wondered if Kellen was wearing clothes.

"Do you love me, Red?" He asked me while rubbing my lower back.

"What?" I asked, my skin tingling as Kellen kissed my jawline, pushing my amber hair over my shoulder.

"Do you love me?" He repeated.

I liked him a lot but I wasn't sure if it was love. I read about it in books, saw it in Brielle's movies, Emily was in love every other week but the concept felt strange.

Love felt like too much.

"Do you love me?" I deflected.

I turned on my side, relieved to see Kellen wearing boxers. His slender muscles exposed as he rolled me onto my back, kissing me softly while he mounted me.

"Maybe," he said with a kiss.

I quickly gave into the moment, my hips instinctively moving as I enjoyed the tantalizing friction between my legs.

"Fuck!" Kellen ripped away as my hand pressed into a bruise on his side.

I sat up, breathless and confused. "What happened?" I panted.