25

We didn't speak much for the rest of the festival. There was an uncomfortable awkward vibe between Fallon and me, but after a while, he seemed to enjoy himself.

Fallon has a thing for blondes. He acquainted himself with one of Daegon's school friends, a girl from his academy who probably only saw Fallon as a way to make her daddy uncomfortable.

"She doesn't like you," I said through gritted teeth as Fallon's new friend zipped off outside the tent with Daegon and the rest of the group.

"Why, 'cause I'm not a trust fund baby?" Fallon asked with the same level of contempt.

"Yes, she only—"

"Wants to stick my dick down her throat so she has something to tell her friends in September?" Fallon abruptly declared with a forced smile. "Oh, I know. The question is, why do you care?" He narrowed his eyes.

"I don't." I turned up my nose.

"Then mind your business, Rue. You don't love me, remember?" Fallon's voice trembled slightly.

I felt pain in his words. An annoying part of me needing to soothe him despite my own hurting. I opened my mouth to explain - I loved him but I was so angry with him - when Daegon poked his head out the tent to tell me his friend got us access to the side stage so I wouldn't have to stay behind.

"That's cool." I faked a smile.

"I know, let's go." Daegon waved me over.

"Come on Fallon!" Elena cheered.

"Coming," we said in unison, leering at each other before heading to our collective corners.

At the end of the festival, Daegon kissed me goodbye. Square on the lips as though we had done it a million times before. He also informed me he and his twin sister were taking a trip with his friends for their birthday at the end of the month.

"I figure you can come since you're newly emancipated. We have our own plane so no worries about identification." He spoke loud enough so Fallon could hear from a few feet away.

"Cool," I replied, trying to ignore Fallon's heated glare.

He didn't speak the whole time we drove Elena home. Laney excitedly gushing about how fun my friends were and thanking us for what she called the best birthday.

The mood felt glacial on the ride back to Manhattan. Fallon drove with one hand on the wheel the other mutilating his thumb.

"Why do you do that?" I reached out and pulled his finger free.

"I don't know," he admitted, immediately bringing his finger back to his mouth.

I ground my teeth, sure Fallon would work his way down to the bone if I left him to his thoughts. "I was lying!" I declared, looking out the window as traffic packed around us.

"Oh, I know," Fallon said matter-of-factly.

"I mean about that thing. I never did it before, I just... saw it somewhere. I wanted to get under your skin," I admitted, hoping it would save his poor digit.

A rumbling chuckle emanated from Fallon's throat. An annoyed toothless smile appeared on his face as he looked ahead.

"Good job!" he cheered as though I was a toddler making a big achievement.

My eyes fluttered. Fallon knew I hated being babied, and I knew he was only doing it to make me mad. I didn't bite. Instead, watching the slow-moving traffic in silence. After five minutes I grew bored, reaching for Fallon's phone to play a game when he snapped.