TWENTY TWO

It’s that feeling. The feeling you only get in nightmares, when you’re falling and falling and falling and can’t see the end- everything around you is pitch black, and endless void of nothing until you do fall. And every part of you breaks into pieces until you are nothing but meaningless particles scrambling around in hopes to reunite.
That’s how Jungkook’s heart felt.

At the very moment when Taehyung slammed the door shut, Jungkook felt the crack reach from the base of his heart right to very tip, reaching upwards and suffocating his lungs and neck and tightening his ribcage until he couldn’t breathe.

So all he did was turn around, feel this emptiness caving into him that he hadn’t felt for a long time, and walked trying not to let the prickling tears in his eyes fall out. He reached his room and opened the door, and sucked in a sharp breath when he saw Jimin with Jin and Namjoon in their room.

“Hey Kook! We’re just practising maths, don’t mind us.” Jin smiled, and Jungkook gave him a tight lipped smile.

Jimin looked at him wearily and got up to walk over to him. “Hey.. everything good?” Jimin whispered, ensuring the other two boys didn’t hear him.

Jungkook turned his head to look at his desk, cleaning it up mindlessly. “Y-yeah- it’s fine.”
“What did he say?”

“Nothing. It just- it- it’s over between us.” Jungkook said, words sour on his tongue.

“What?!” Jimin let out, and Jin and Namjoon rose their heads.

“What happened?” Namjoon asked, and Jimin waved his hand at them.

“Nothing! We’re discussing this new movie that came out-” Jimin stammered, and then turned his head to face Jungkook. “What do you mean it’s over?”

“I mean-” Jungkook started a little harshly, placing the last pen into place. “-that it’s over between us. It never even started, so I honestly don’t care.”

“You sure?” Jimin asked, and Jungkook chuckled, giving him a bright smile.

“Of course, Park. I’m fine! Now, let me practice some maths with you guys.” Jungkook said, walking over to Jin and Namjoon, to which Jimin just sighed.

Because he knew. He knew Jungkook wasn’t fine.
He knew, because Jungkook smiled for the rest of the day. Laughed and talked more than usual. Seemed way too fine.

He knew, because later Jungkook went to sleep. And at 2 am, Jimin awake to the sound of soft crying. Jimin rose his head, and saw Jungkook turned the other way, shoulders quivering as he had his blanket scrunched tightly in his hold.

He was crying, soft gasps of breath leaving his lips. Jimin stood up and walked over to his single bed, sitting down beside him. “Jungkookie…”

“I-I’m fine.” Jungkook squeaked out, and Jimin placed his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder.

“I know you’re not fine. Don’t lie to yourself,” Jimin said softly, and Jungkook stilled for a few seconds, clearly restricting.

Jimin let out a big sigh and then climbed onto the bed, laying down beside him and throwing his arm over his waist. “You’re not fine. And- and that’s okay. Just let it out, Kookie.”

Jungkook began sobbing, not being able to control the loud cries that began leaving his lips, cheeks tear soaked and eyes blurry as he turned around, crying into Jimin’s chest. “H-he was w-with a- a girl, Jimin. He- he doesn’t c-care about me- he n-never did,” Jungkook bubbled out, and Jimin pet his hair in gentle strokes, calming him.

“A-all this time. He l-looked at me so fondly, treated m-me with so much care, kissed me a-all the time a-a-and was so loving. H-how could all of t-that just- just go away? A-am I just s-stupid? Was h-he faking it the whole time j-just to get me to s-sleep with him? All of t-that- all of that was bullshit.” Jungkook let out in the end, shuddering out a breath.