FORTY

“Jeon Jungkook?” Taehyung whispered, voice barely coherent. “Will you be my boyfriend?”

There was a pause.

Everyone, wide-eyed, somehow got nervous themselves, stared from Taehyung to Jungkook, and then back to Taehyung, and then back to Jungkook. The silence was overbearing. People held their breaths, anxious for the answer- felt invested in their relationship, somehow.

Jungkook’s eyes were wide, mouth slightly agape. He stared at Taehyung for, like, 17 seconds, until-

“Oh my god.” Taehyung let out, gulping. “I literally forgot you might say no. Fuck. Okay, if Jungkook says no- this never happened, and I’m moving schools. It was really nice knowing all of you, but-”

“Get off the stage, dummy!” Jimin yelled, and some people around him let out shouts of agreement. Taehyung let the mic go and then jumped off the stage, now on the ground.

Taehyung looked at Jungkook, who had his fists coiled up by his sides, eyes wavering, almost teary. Taehyung fearfully walked closer to him, clearing his throat, and then putting his hands in his pockets so Jungkook wouldn’t see how badly they were shaking.

Jungkook looked at him for a few seconds- and the silence and anxiety only grew further. After a bit more of apprehension, Jungkook did it.

He slapped Taehyung across the face.

Okay- lightly. It was a light slap across the face, but Taehyung’s head got moved to the side and his eyes widened, heart beating out of his chest. He then heard a small sniffle.

“Y-you idiot,” Jungkook said, and Taehyung didn’t know what that meant- until he felt Jungkook’s hands grip his shirt and pull him towards him. Taehyung turned to look at Jungkook and then saw the boy smiling.

“Yes. A-a hundred times.” Jungkook whispered softly, and Taehyung took his hands out of his pockets hurriedly to grip Jungkook’s waist- and then pressed their lips together.

It’s like fireworks exploded. People around them started clapping, cheering, dancing. Homophobic people forgot about their bigoted views and celebrated love. Because that’s what all of it was about in the end, wasn’t it?

Taehyung circled his arms around Jungkook’s waist, holding him in so tightly that it made the pressed of their lips against one another firmer. Jungkook kissed him eagerly, hands fumbling to grip his jaw and kiss him harder. Shouts of their names and loud screams of joy circled around them, but all they could hear was their hearts beating loudly.

The limitation of their lung capacities pulled them away from the kiss and caused both to press their foreheads against one another.

“I-I thought you were going to say no,” Taehyung whispered, words so silent only Jungkook could hear. Jungkook smiled up at him, his doe eyes sparkling.

“Y-yeah, well, I’m an idiot too,” Jungkook said with a small giggle, and then began kissing Taehyung again.

“I can’t believe they got married.” Someone said. Taehyung pulled away from the kiss and then chuckled into Jungkook’s lips. Jungkook looked at him fondly, smiling really big.

“You’re the bravest person in the world. I’m so proud of you.” Jungkook whispered, and Taehyung sniffled.

“That means more than you can imagine,” Taehyung replied, and they wanted to kiss again, but then suddenly got pulled away from each other.