THIRTY NINE

Jungkook got confronted by Hoseok, Yoongi, and Namjoon a week later.

He was in the library during the study period, listening to Dolly Parton while doing math homework. Because nothing solved calculus like some good old country music! He was halfway done when he heard a clearing of a throat.

“Jeon.” A voice came abruptly, and Jungkook took his earphone out and looked up, raising his eyebrow when he saw the three boys. Namjoon in his glasses, Yoongi with his disheveled shirt sticking out of his trousers, and Hoseok looking slightly nervous.

“What?” Jungkook asked, voice flat.

With everything that had been going on so far in the school year, three of his best friends suddenly shunning him and pretending like he never existed was one of the worst. He was close to them. Maybe not how close he was to Jimin, but it still counted.

They ate lunch together every single day. Jungkook used to help Yoongi with his Chemistry assignments. Hoseok used to call Jungkook ‘Kookie Boy’ and always grin when Jungkook scowled. Namjoon used to help Jungkook with his English homework, always ruffling his hair afterward.

To just… ignore him like that. To completely push him away and even actively make homophobic remarks towards him. It sucked.

“We wanted to talk to you.” Hoseok stated, and Jungkook saw the orange haired boy and then bit his lip.

“Okay…” Jungkook trailed and then saw Namjoon sigh. “Jungkook- we came here to apologize. About being so… rude about the gay thing.”

Jungkook stilled. He looked at them with widened eyes. Hoseok nodded. “We were assholes to you. You don’t deserve that, Jungkook! I’ve been wanting to apologize for ages, honestly. It just… it occurred to us suddenly how badly we fucked up.” Hoseok mumbled.

“Why now?” Jungkook asked, and then saw Yoongi give him a look.

“Yesterday at football practice- one of the guys made a homophobic comment towards Sehun. Sehun didn’t say anything, but V got really mad and yelled at everyone. Said stuff about how we were being ignorant and shouldn’t make jokes like these.” Yoongi said, hands in pockets.

Jungkook stilled. “Oh.” Jungkook said, looking down at his notebook.

“We’re sorry. Truly. Jin also kind of beat our ass.” Namjoon said, and Jungkook bubbled out a giggle. “So yeah. We don’t expect you to forgive us-”

“I don’t. Not instantly. But- but people make mistakes. And you guys are still young, so the earlier you decide to change, the better.” Jungkook said, giving the boys a small smile. Hoseok and Namjoon smiled brightly, while Yoongi just gave him a small smile. “I forgive you guys.”

“Yay!” Hoseok said, and then jumped into the seat beside him, startling Jungkook. “You look bored as fuck doing maths. Let me show you this new track the three of us have been working on-” Hoseok said, taking his phone out.

“You guys do music now?” Jungkook gasped, grinning. It made him realize he hadn’t had a proper conversation with them for months. Random small words exchanged during classes and football practice didn’t count.

“Yeah! We rap.” Namjoon said, and Jungkook giggled. “Or at least we try to.” Yoongi added.

“I’m sure you’re great! Let me hear it-” Jungkook said, and then got lost in mindless chatter with the boys.

///

kth_v