3

It was by some miracle that Amanda didn't spend the day shaking with excitement. Peyton was preoccupied with one of the school-club meetings so they only saw each other during class. Small waves and gentle smiles erased the doubt that lingered for either of them about whether or not they'd see each other tonight.

   Thirty minutes after joining the party, Cora and Levi had yet to arrive. Knowing him, she could picture him emptying the remainder of a gel jar in his hair, the perfectionist in him not allowing a single strand to be out of place. While Wren had gone off to get their drinks, Amanda pondered just how she'd walk up to their host, wishing to spew out anything but the popular cliché, "Nice party, right?"

She froze in her search before slowly turning around. Tristan Mitchel stood there in his six-foot glory, eyeing her with a hungry gaze.

She crossed her arms over her chest and let out a silent sigh, already discouraged by the upcoming conversation.

"What are you doing here, Tristan?"

"What everyone else is doing, looking for a good time."

She hummed to herself, shifting awkwardly now that he'd found a topic to talk about.

   Being addressed by the star player of the football team wouldn't go unnoticed. It didn't take long for the whispers to begin and hopeless girls glared at her with jealousy as he went on about their last game, which she attended. Across the room, Peyton had lost interest in her friends' conversation. She watched from a distance as Amanda nodded along to everything Tristan said, her eyes focused on the ground, making her discomfort more obvious than a billboard on a highway.

"I think he has a crush on you, Peyton," Emily said loudly.

She turned to her, confused, "Who?"

"This super hot guy from Milton High. I hear he's coming over tonight."

"Who exactly invited him?"

Emily shrugged, "Dunno. He's close with Tristan so that could explain how he knew."

Peyton chuckled and shook her head, brushing off that information like an extra file in her brain that deserved cancelation.

   Now focused back on Amanda, she could tell by that small twitch in her cheek that she was growing tired of smiling. The way her eyes found more interest in the room showed just how short her patience had worn. Her escape came when Wren came back, handing her a cup. She pulled her friends closer and whispered something in her ear that made her eyes widen with interest. She shook her hair off her shoulders as she eyed Tristan like the most delicate meal, before stepping forward for introductions.

Amanda took a step back before fully losing herself in the crowd. She had to hold back a laugh when she heard him restart the exact same story that'd made her consider if watching a leaf grow wouldn't be more interesting than having to endure his poor storytelling skills altogether.

"I hope he didn't bore you too much," said Peyton as she approached her, a smirk playing in the corner of her lips.

"It would be a shame to have to kick out one of the golden boys for bringing down the mood."

"No need for that. He takes pride in his work. Too bad he sucks at selling it."

"Or you're just too smart to buy it."

Amanda pursed her lips slightly as she nodded.

Peyton giggled and brought her cup to her mouth while taking in her outfit.

"You look amazing. Sick boots!"

She bent down to take a closer look, nodding to herself as she came back up.

"Thanks. Cora would definitely question your sanity if she heard you say that."

   Peyton cocked her head as if considering what Amanda just told her. She crossed one arm over her chest, her forefinger and cup now pressed against her lips as she stared at the girl before her. Amanda swallowed hard, Peyton's gaze was so powerful she could almost feel them undressing her.

"I guess her taste doesn't deserve my consideration."

   Could this really be? Was Peyton really waving off guests just to talk to her? And what was that? Were they flirting? Out in the open? The courage that this girl had to be so forward with her desires was appalling. She always had a scenario in her head, dreaming of what it'd be like to kiss her, to hold her, yet she could never muster the strength to take the first step.

Right as she was about to say something, the music got louder, signaling for everyone to join the dance floor

"You wanna go outside?!"

Her voice was barely audible over the cheers and music.

If it weren't for the smile on her face, Amanda would've missed the amusement in her tone.

With a simple nod, Peyton led them through the crowd.

Amanda was tempted to question the sudden rush of euphoria that'd run through her being. Whether the tequila was to blame, or Peyton's static hold, she prepared herself for a night of great memories, despite the teardrop of anxiety in this ocean of bliss.

~Thank you for reading this chapter.~

~Remember to vote if you liked it.~

~I hope you're all doing good and staying safe.~

~Love you!~