27

The late evening sun pierced through the window, its orange hue cast over the piles of dusty boxes. For a while Amanda remained at the window, gazing out at the town. Music blared in her ears while between her fingers, she held the tube possibly containing the answers to her questions. Her mother's outburst hadn't rattled her in the least. Moreover, there was a part of her that longed to empathize with her. Hadn't it been for her being locked away, she would've never been able to identify the face of the girl in her head. Speculations weren't enough for Amanda. For far too long she didn't know what to make of the voices, the visions. As farfetched as it was, she was convinced Skye's spirit lived inside her. All that now remained was finding the reasons for her torments. Why her?

The questions danced around in her head until the pink and orange hues gave way to a deep blue, the color was still bright as it began draping its blanket over the evening sky.

   Amanda leaned her head against the glass, breathing in the musty air, she coughed and shook her head in disgust. There was a reason she always went on the roof when coming up here. When at an impasse, she found comfort in solitude. Tonight, however, she craved the hustle and bustle of Robby's. Her mouth nearly watered at the thought of a big bowl of their homemade strawberry ice cream with one of Jeimy's brownies. It'd been a while since she'd allowed herself to sulk in front of her favorite dessert. With so many paths mapped out before her, she decided it wouldn't hurt to use the night to take the edge off.

   She pushed off the wall and looked down at the pills clutched in her hand as she began to walk out of the attic. Thrusting it into her pocket, she walked through the hall, leisurely brushing her hand against the walls. When she reached her bedroom, she quickly changed outfit, choosing a pair of dark blue jeans and a white tank with black stripes. Once her combat boots were on she swiped the clear gloss wand over her lips and made the effort of brushing her hair, her dark root in dire need of some color. Throwing on a black denim jacket, she was ready for a night out in town.

"Daddy, can I borrow your car?" Amanda said, pushing open the study door.

She froze at the sight before her, gripping the door handle before spinning around unsure of what to say.

Mayor Fullwood hurriedly buttoned up his shirt while Sheryl climbed off his lap, her nightgown strap slipping off her shoulder.

"I'm sorry I didn't knock," Amanda wavered, cursing herself for that bad habit.

"It's alright, sweetheart," her father said in a breathy tone as he stepped out to join her in the hallway.

"Why do you need my car?" he asked, closing the door behind him.

Amanda's blush only grew when she took in his disheveled appearance right when he took a step back, eyeing her up and down.

"Hey, where are you going looking so pretty?" he teased.

Amanda felt her ears burn at his compliment.

"Just wanted to go for ice cream at Robby's."

"Ooh, they still make those?" he asked with hopeful eyes.

Amanda nodded and he did the same, taking a mental note to check it out soon.

"Alright, give me a second."

He went back into his office and Amanda couldn't help but sigh, whipping the invisible sweat on her forehead.

It wasn't often that she saw her parents being affectionate with each other. Given how tonight had gone, a heated make-out session was the last thing she expected to walk in on. Regardless, she smiled knowing they were on better terms.