28

Cora: Going down to my parents' beach house for spring break!!! You in?

The message popped up on Amanda's screen, pulling her away from her calculus exercise long enough to read it then push the phone aside.

"Is everything alright?" Peyton inquired beside her.

Her eyes fixed on the equation she doodled on the paper, she hummed in response.

"Yeah. It's just Cora asking if I want to tag along for spring break."

"Oh?" Peyton said, curious.

Amanda paused for a moment to look at her.

Eyebrow raised in anticipation, Amanda straightened up in her chair, shifting in her seat to stretch out her limbs, pocking her elbows and rolling her wrists.

"Yeah," she said on an exhale, "I'm not going."

"Why not?"

   Amanda glanced at her. Today her hair was gathered on top of her head in a mess of blonde strands with tendrils framing her face heart-shaped-face. The light mustard color sundress and cream camisole she wore, paired with black flats made her look like a teacher's assistant. Working in the library, hunched over Amanda's notebook, meticulously pointing out errors and scanning the sheets to cross off each assignment done, she also acted the part.

As if her eyes hadn't burned every inch of her as she took her in, Amanda shrugged, "Not really looking for sand in my hair and sun burns. Not to mention you're staying in town," she paused and leaned back, looking at her again with those hungry eyes.

"I much prefer keeping you company."

She brought a hand to her cheek, with her thumb and index, feeling the precise moment heat rushed to her skin, flaring a hot pink blush.

"About that," she whispered hesitantly which caused for Amanda to freeze temporarily.

"My grandparents arranged for us to join them for a week-long trip in the Irish county."

She bit her lip nervously, as if this was the hardest thing to admit and now feared the consequences.

Amanda's hand dropped but the disappointment she expected to see on her face wasn't there when she looked at her.

"What souvenir do you plan to bring me back?" Amanda asked, her fingers resuming their soft exploration of her face.

She let out a relieved breath, "I'll uh... I'll think of something. You're not upset?"

Amanda tilted her head from left to right, "I'll miss you. Does that count as being upset?"

Peyton's face lit up in a shy smile. She brought her hand to Amanda's, still pressed to her face, gently caressing the back of her hand with her thumb.

When she looked up at her, the mischief in her eyes was crystal clear.

"Not if I can help it," she was whispering now, even lower than before, her voice holding the slightest hint of rasp in contrast to her naturally soft timber.

Leaning in, Amanda was only inches away from her lips when she dared to ask, "And how do you plan to do that?"

   Peyton looked around the room. The library was one of the oldest buildings on campus to top it all, it was designed to conjure the same aura as you'd get wandering through a grand hall in an old manner. Three chandelier hung from the ceiling. Their clear crystals filtered the sunlight, sending streaks of orange on the books that were arranged against the walls. A spiral staircase near the door led to the second level. Students were rarely allowed there as it held some of the town's the oldest documents.