29

The tall metal gates squealed as they opened to let him through.

Instinctually, Amanda back-up, startled when her back hit the car. Beside her, Sheryl didn't miss her frightened response to Dr. Fletcher's approaching presence.

"Having second thoughts?" Sheryl asked, gazing at her daughter's profile for any sign of uncertainty.

There were plenty, yet she took in a calming breath, conjuring her determination before looking at her mother.

"No," she said adamantly.

   She turned her attention forward onto the old Victorian building. Dr. Fletcher's practiced smile as he neared them didn't phase her. Gazing at the building, her eyes caught very subtle movement at a window. Surrounded by vines, the dark growths acting like dark veins along the walls, the barred opening revealed the silhouette of a man. Watching ominously behind a veiled curtain, a chill ran up her spine.

   A sudden grip on her shoulder squeezed her out of her daze. She snapped her head to the left to see her father standing there. Eyeing her with concern, he gave her shoulder another light squeeze and softly whispered, "If you're having second thoughts..." he was caught off when the overly enthusiastic doctor greeted Sheryl with a friendly hug.

"I wish it were under better circumstances that we saw each other again," he bellowed like an old pall eager to catch up.

Sheryl treated him to a smile and a curt nod, speaking softly as she thanked him for agreeing to a meeting under such short notice.

The man looked at Amanda and didn't try that overly jovial grin doctors tended to reserve for children. Instead, he pressed his lips together, and his face grew serious when his eyes moved to the mayor.

"Good morning, Mr. Mayor. Having you here I sure hope this is a sign that we can put the past behind us."

"You'd be a fool to assume such a thing," Mayor Fulwood replied automatically.

The doctor nearly flinched at the poison his words held.

Running his hand down her shoulder, Amanda teetered from side to side in her father's grasp. Making a show out of his stance, his voice was more gentle when he said, "I'm here for my daughter."

Amanda smiled at the ground, feeling so protected in her father's hold.

   Dr. Fletcher began to stumble on his words when in the distance, a door opened and then shut with a loud thump. Amanda looked up to see a dark-skinned woman walking towards them. Unlike Dr. Fletcher, her face was pretty neutral, and her eyes squinted as the cold wind blew, lighting away the dead leaves in her path. She walked through the gates, her smile true as she greeted the family.

"Hello, I'm Kennedy Ambrose. It is lovely to meet you all," she said, flashing them a toothy grin that revealed a small gap between her incisors.

   She wore a forest green blouse, brown pants, and khaki suede khaki ankle boots. Around her head was a cream-colored scarf and her long auburn box braids her a large knot of her head. Large frame glasses sat low on the bridge of her nose as her whiskey eyes moved to Amanda.

"Amanda, it's so nice to finally meet you. I look forward to getting to know you better today," she said sincerely, her hand outstretched towards the girl that gladly shook it and reciprocated her warm smile.

"Thank you. It's a pleasure for me too," Amanda spoke softly.

Dr. Ambrose giggled and then moved on to greet the Mayor.