19. Pet

I awaken to the feeling of something touching my neck. It's soft, cool, and ticklish as it flutters across my skin. I try to roll over to get away from whatever's tickling me but there's a weight pinning me down below the hips. I frown, whimpering a bit when something wet drags over the spot beneath my jaw, causing me to arch a bit.

"Is there something you want to tell me, pet?"

I still, my heart seeming to falter at the sound of Cassius's voice in my ear. A few seconds is all it takes for me to remember where I am. Last night, or was it early in the morning, the vampire lord almost got me to ask him to drink my blood. I remember my body burning as it resisted before we were interrupted. After that, Cassius put me somewhere else.

"Are you going to open your eyes?"

I don't answer. Trust me, I really want to but now that he asks, I sort of don't want to. One strong hand travels up my left thigh to squeeze my hip. My breath hitches.

"It sounds like you were having a very interesting dream, pet." Cold lips nibble at my earlobe. "You said my name."

My hands curl into fists as a feeling of horror rolls through me. I wonder if I said anything else in my sleep. By now, I'm completely awake. Judging by what I can feel, I was lying on my side in a bed with Cassius behind me, his body flush against my backside with one of his legs bent over mine. That would explain the weight.

"Were you having a naughty dream about me, little Emmy?"

Not in a million years, I snap inside my head. I grit my teeth so that I don't make a sound. The hand on my hip starts to backtrack and my heart launches into a gallop as I feel him trace his fingers just on the curve of my rear.

"I can hear your heart pounding, you know. Your abnormal breathing is another telltale sign that tells me you're awake."

I sense him shifting closer to my face. I keep my eyes squeezed shut.

Cassius chuckles. "Let's see if you can keep up that act of yours." With the flick of his finger, he moves my skirt higher and I automatically squeeze my legs together as he trails what might be the tips of his nails inward towards a place no one has ever touched before. He stops right over the dip where my thigh meets my hips- way too close for me to be comfortable.

"Not even a shudder?" He huffs a laugh. "How bout this?" Just before his hand could drop any lower, my own hand snatches onto his wrist. We both know I can't stop him but he halts anyway.

"Stop." I whisper.

"Tell me what you were dreaming about." Pulling his wrist free from my grasp, he starts to trace light, ticklish circles on my leg. I bite my lip to keep from squeaking out loud. I can't stop myself from shivering, though. I think about keeping my mouth shut again but remember that he'll probably get it out of me by force if I do, so, I decide to make something up.

"I.. I was dreaming of the... auction."

"The auction? What was going on?" He didn't sound too interested in what I had to say. More like mildly curious. His focus was more on my body than anything else. I try to keep my thoughts in order as he starts to plant open-mouthed kisses on my shoulder, his hot tongue stroking the skin while his teeth scraped it. A handful of tingles skitter down my spine.

"It w-was just a scary dream. There were a lot of vampires and- ah!"

I jerk away from him when I feel him lick behind my ear but he wraps one solid arm around my waist, keeping me where I am.

"And what?" He whispers huskily.

I swallow. "And.. they wanted to take me. They were going to kill me."