21. Ambushed

Cassius

The morning bells pealed, filling the world with their ringing notes as it awoke for yet another day. Already awake, I stride from my desk to look out the window. The sky was gray and the city was beginning to come to life. Beyond the rooftops and half-built structures of soon-to-be towers of Italy, the Mediterranean Sea appeared like a strip of ink on the horizon. From here, the waves would be soundless for a human. I, on the other hand, could hear them crashing against the port and the hulls of the many ships docked along the bay. The seagulls sang their wailing songs over the cries of men who called out to one another as they worked.

My gaze roams over stone and brick, past windows and through cobbled streets until I'm staring at the nearly empty one below. Besides a passing carriage, two hooded figures stood outside my door. I listened to the silence of their hearts before dawning my coat and heading downstairs. I don't bother with any form of greeting when I open the door and nor do they.

The one to speak first is the man on the left who stands tall. He's a burly gentleman whose scarred face frightened most who came across it. His companion, leaner and smaller in size, continued to stare out at the street behind them, his cowl hiding his face from view.

"The Lord has been expecting you, prince." He emphasizes the last word with a sneer. I arch a brow at him.

"So?"

He smirks. "He doesn't like to be kept waiting."

I smile, but it's not a kind one. "I already sent him a letter. He should know I don't plan to attend."

The large man growls and that's when I catch a glimpse of his fangs. "Do you think he cares? You are expected to attend."

I cross my arms, leaning against the doorframe. "I've never been one to meet expectations now, have I?"

The towering vampire takes a step, his voice low. "You're coming with us."

"No," I state calmly. "You're leaving."

Before the brute could do anything I'd probably make him regret, his companion turns to set one slender hand on his arm. I peer into his hood to see a male's delicate face, the beauty so startling even a vampire could be entranced. He looked to be of Asian descent, black eyes slanted with obsidian hair spilling over his shoulders like liquid silk. He doesn't bother saying anything. He merely bows his head once before taking his leave. I return my attention to the bigger vampire and smile, flashing him my own fangs. He scowls before he too disappears into the alley across the road.

I stare after them. The lord he'd mentioned was none other than my father. He wants me to attend one of his balls celebrating his two-hundred and fifty-sixth anniversary with my mother as well as his recent election as one of the many leaders to rule and guide the growing city to greatness and prosperity. As one of the wealthiest patrons around, he thrives in the human world, a man of power with no mortal enemy to challenge him.

That reason alone makes me hate him entirely. My father, Vigo Sar, a lover of humanity and all they have to offer for creatures like us. It did not matter that we lived in shadows, that among our kind, he was frowned upon for his gracious acts towards humans. I hated him because he ruled both worlds instead of focusing on the one he was born into. At times, it seems like he could even care more for mortals than immortals. And he was a pure-blood! His actions have done nothing but make other vampires turn their backs on me before I even get the chance to prove myself. And, because of him, because of his tainted blood that runs through my veins...

"Cassius?"

I blame him for my weakness as well.

The fluttering of her heart soothes something inside me as I turn to face my mortal love. I shut the door and stride over to her, pulling the frail girl into my arms before inhaling deeply. I sigh, relaxing as her wondrous scent fills my senses. I welcome the ache in my mouth and the burn in my throat. I always fight it when it comes to her.