37. Monsters and Shadows

Cassius

We left the glowing city center for the outskirts where signs of our invasion were still present. Gaping cavities on numerous structures brought flashbacks to mind; hoards of my kind pouring into buildings like a cloud of death, relentless and leaving drained bodies behind. Even now, I could still smell the stench of decomposition while I glimpsed bones peeking out from under rubble or overturned vehicles. In my peripherals, Isabelle remained silent as she gazed out at the reality of what had happened to her world. A tear slipped down her cheek but she swiped it away.

I huff and look towards the window separating the driver from the rear passengers.

"Stop at the bridge," I order.

The car glides around a massive hole in the road and I sense a fleeting presence from the darkness before it vanishes. I glare into the caved pavement but can see nothing, just pools of sewage water and pipes. I turn away, deciding it was probably a scout or something.

At last, we arrive at the bridge and the car stops. I grab the door but stop to look at Isabelle who was watching me out of the corner of her eye but trying not to be obvious about it.

"Stay here. Don't leave the car. I'll be back in five."

She doesn't respond and I grit my teeth as I step out. I'm going to have to teach her how to respect me properly later. Shutting the door, I stride over to the driver's window and tap on the glass. It rolls down and the vampire within, I think his name was Max, grunts in acknowledgment.

"Don't let her go anywhere. Any sign of trouble and you take her back to the manor without me. There's said to have been sightings of rogues around here so stay alert."

Max nods. "Understood."

With one last glance at the rear windows where I catch Isabelle dropping out of sight, I turn and take off.

It feels good to run. My muscles tighten and release, the strength I hold within bursting forth in powerful, leaping strides as I lean forward in my sprint. I fly across the bridge, through the cluttered streets, and find myself at my destination sooner than I would've liked. I smooth my hair down and try to tamper the building high that my burst of energy had brought up.

The apartment complex Jacques had found not too long ago was the same as ever, empty and quiet. My reason for coming here was just to check-up as I usually do. I find my terrace and slip inside the room now smelling of dust and the piss of some animal that managed to get in here. I wrinkle my nose and snarl as I cross the room to shut the door.

Did I leave this open from my last visit?

Turning around, I examine the room more thoroughly. Nothing was left unsettled, the air was empty of any other scent but mine in regards to visitors. Well, besides the stank of a stray dog. I look towards the file cabinet and that's when I see it.

A file peeking out of the bottom drawer.

I hurry over and get down to open it, plucking the hastily replaced folder from its spot. I bring it to my nose to sniff.

No scent? How could there be no scent? I frown and open it. They were blood documents. Transactions, names, codes, everything was in order and from what I could remember, all accounted for.

I stay crouched for a moment longer before slowly putting it back the right way and shutting the drawer.

Something was wrong.