30. A Watchful Shadow

Author's Note: Play music once you come across the text "~ play music ~". Other than that, continue enjoying the story!!!

Cassius

Her blood stained my shirt. It was all over my hands. I stare at it, watching it dry in the light of the fire that burned bright in my fireplace.

The smell.

I bring my fingers to my nose, inhaling deeply while closing my eyes. I groan a little, my mouth watering from the temptation. Such a sweet and delicate poison. Watching the blood seep from her soft skin, breathing in the delectable aroma, hearing her cry, her torture had been my torture. I want to taste her so bad it hurts. My fangs are throbbing but I keep my body still, forcing myself to endure.

After dropping her off in her new chambers I'd had arranged to be right next to my room, I came straight to one of my main guest rooms. The room was large, quiet, and decorated to imitate a renaissance style favored by the French. A piano sat in one corner of the room along with a harp and violin while a table, some chairs, and a few selected statues stood to fill the rest of the grand space. I look towards the piano, wondering if I should play. It's been a while.

Paying no mind to the blood still speckling my skin, I swiftly glide over to sit gracefully at the piano. I brush my fingers over the polished keys. Taking a second to decide on a musical piece, I drift across the pearly teeth, dabbing at one here and there to test their song. Making my decision, I settle closer and position my hands.

~~ play music ~~

Harmony.

The melody starts out slow, the intro to the story a daunting welcome before I press down on the deeper notes. I close my eyes, listening to the tinkling of the lighter keys before I follow with a weave of chiming cries creating a chorus that leads to the story's turning point. From there, my fingers are but wings soaring over a sea of white. The horizon maintained its onyx hold as it kissed its partner harshly, my hands their guide in this intimate dance. Nearing the song's end, my eyes flutter open so that I may enjoy the last few lines.

"I haven't heard you play that for a long time."

Without looking up, I continue playing. "What is it, Remus?"

"Your pet is sleeping and her wounds are dressed. I came by to ask if you'd like to see her."

I smirk. "How thoughtful."

I hear him grunt as he shifts from foot to foot. "Jack volunteered to guard her."

My brow quirks as I finish my piece, the song trailing off before lingering in the air. "Did you let him?"

"No, my lord. I suspect he feels quite a bit of hostility towards her given," he pauses. "His current state."

I shrug. At last, I look up. Remus was now back to normal. The mansion and everyone else was too since the silverbane incident. Actually, upon closer inspection, his posture seemed more rigid, his auburn gaze more alert, but other than that, normal.

I offer him a smile as I stand. "If he tries anything, I'll kill him." Flitting across the room, I pat his shoulder as I pass. "I'm off for a bath. No one is allowed near her and you may kill those who try."

Remus bows his head. "Understood."

The mansion was busy today. Humans bustled back and forth to prepare for the guest I'd be having later on today. Unfortunately, his visit was mandatory so I could not refuse when I received the letter a few days ago. I nearly forgot after my issue with Emmy but it sticks in my mind now the night I was interrupted from drinking her blood.