28. A Fate Woven By Lies

"So this is the child?" The deep voice is rich and chilling, warm like honey yet cooler than silk gliding over the skin. I dared a peek at the vampire who had spoken to see his pale orbs taking me in from head to toe before our eyes locked. I look down at my feet, failing miserably to suppress the shiver that ran through me.

Jacques cocks his head, seemingly heedful of the dark one. In the blink of an eye, he's out of his chair and standing by my side whilst placing a cold hand on my back. "Who else would it be?" I glance up to catch Jacques flashing his teeth at the other vampire in what could've been a smile but the resentful look in his eyes told me otherwise.

The robed vampire grunts before moving. I watch his shadow trail across the room until he's by the far wall. Unable to help it, I look up to see him peering out the window.

"What does she know?"

Jacques's hand on my back moves to rest firmly on my left shoulder. "I just told her a bit of my history with Cassius, is all."

The priest's gaze flickers to us before they roll back in the direction of the window in an exasperated manner. "So she knows nothing."

Jacques's lets out a low growl but is interrupted by a deliberate cough to our right. I jump before shifting my attention to Eldric. He offers me a dashing smile. "You see, Isabelle, if you could decipher the underlying purpose in what Jacques's told you about himself, I'd think you might agree that a Night Lord like Cassius Sar deserves to be taught a lesson, no?"

I frown. "Um..."

"An example," the priest interrupts. "His story was a mere example of what Night Lords, in general, are capable of. Though, I wouldn't say it's a good one." Turning from the window, his cool gaze pins me where I stand. "True, we were all born of darkness but the Night Lords, the Reverend, I should say, have done nothing but cause disruption to the natural cycle of existence. Darkness has taken the light and without a balance, there will soon be no hope for either of our species to exist, period."

"The world was born in darkness." Jacques snaps. "You are here because you agreed to our terms. There is no need for your convictions."

The room falls into a heavy silence as the two vampires glare at one another. I was stunned. What were they talking about? I look to Eldric to see his blue-green gaze dancing with amusement as he stroked his chin. His mouth quirks up on one side before he snaps his fingers, attracting his companions' attention.

"Do you remember any bedtime stories your parents told you?"

I blink, feeling stumped by the sudden change of topic. All three vampires remain silent, awaiting my response. Gripping the folds of my skirt, I shake my head. Eldric tilts his head before holding his hand out. I hesitate, unsure of whether or not I should take it when I feel a nudge at the small of my back. I peer over my shoulder to see Jacques offer me an encouraging nod. Though that small motion gave me no comfort whatsoever, I placed my trembling right hand in Eldric's awaiting one, if only to avoid annoying either one of them. His hand nearly engulfed all of mine and I stiffened when I felt his thumb stroke my knuckles as he pulled me closer. I'm staring at our hands when I feel a cool finger beneath my chin, guiding my face upwards so as to have our gazes meet. This close, my breath falters at the sight of his inhumane beauty. Vampires were simply perfect when it came to looks. No flaws of the skin, no sign of age to be seen. Some nearly forgotten part of me- a vain, pointless part- sent a fleeting wave of envy through me, ashamed of how I must appear plain and dull in the eyes of such timeless creatures.

Eldric strokes my chin with his thumb, breaking me free from my thoughts. My eyes widen as I stiffen, realizing how ridiculous I was being. Quickly, I jerk my chin from his grasp, intending to do the same with my hand but his hold there remains firm. He turns to the others with a chuckle.