9. The Passages

He was pure evil.

My wrist was on fire, my body convulsing from fear and the chilliness of the room. I cowered behind a leather chair while Cassius writhed on the floor, his blood-curdling scream seemingly endless. Eve was by his side, looking more or less startled by his master's condition. His pale hands were a blur of white over Cassius's body as he checked him from head to toe.

He'd appeared out of nowhere, just like before, golden eyes blazing, body poised to attack whatever or whoever harmed his Lord. When he realized no one but me stood in the room, Eve cast me one prudent look before kneeling by his Lord's side.

It was longer this time. Not that I was complaining. With every second that passed, it was like the vampire's screams were only getting louder until, finally, he arched and broke off into a silent scream, his face twisted in agony. He was clutching at his neck again. Eve was really starting to look panicked. Another shiver coursed through me and my eyes flit to the black trench coat hanging by the door. With both vampires busy, I dash across the room, snatching the coat off its hook and slipping it on gingerly. I sigh quietly in relief. I was no longer butt-naked.

Escape.

My heart picks up speed and I glance over at Eve, fearing he might take the time to notice me and stop me from even thinking of running away. He doesn't even look up. Cassius was still twitching mutely on the ground. I look at the door. I take a step, then another, my left hand reaching for the knob.

Bang!

The door is thrown open off its hinges, wood splinters flying every which way. I scream, shielding my face with one arm as I whirl to press myself against the wall. When I turn back to see who was here, my blood runs cold.

Master Bane stands tall in the doorway, eyes wide as he takes in the sight of Cassius on the ground. This is not good. Three vampires were now in the room and my chances for escape were running out. But, to my surprise, Master Bane doesn't even look in my direction as he darts to Cassius's side, opposite of Eve. The vampire child looks up, pursing his lips.

"Please step away from Lord Cassius." He says, stoically. "Those who live in the House of Sar are told that Master Bane is strictly forbidden from coming anywhere near-"

"Shut up." The fair-haired vampire snaps. My brow furrows as he rolls up the sleeves of his beige coat. What is he doing?

"What are you doing?" Eve asks, voicing my thoughts. He looks like he's ready to tackle the older vampire any second. Ignoring Eve's question, Bane leans over Cassius who seems to have gone unconscious. Bringing one wrist to his mouth, he parts his ruby lips before tearing into his own flesh with the tips of his fangs. My jaw drops. Eve balks as well, hands flying forward to push Master Bane away but Bane shoves him hard, sending the child flying across the room to go crashing into a wall of books. I gasp as the whole bookshelf topples forward onto Eve, burying him in a pile of heavy books and wood shelves. Before I can think of what to do, I return my attention to Master Bane who now cradles Cassius's head in his lap. With his crimson blood spilling from his wrist, Bane holds it over the fallen Lord's mouth, allowing drops to color his lips.

"Come on." Bane growls, shaking Cassius slightly. His eyes flutter before a pink tongue darts out to lick his bloody lips. That's when those silver eyes snap wide open. One minute, he's as limp as a doll, the next, he's latched onto Master Bane's wrist like a wild animal, teeth digging into his snowy arm, making him bleed more. The seraphic vampire shudders visibly but otherwise stays put.

Now.

As quietly as I can, I slip from the room and don't dare to look back for fear I'd jinx myself. If Cassius drinks as fast as he moves, I have maybe a minute, and that's me being overly positive. That's as long as he doesn't send Eve after me, if he's alright, or Master Bane. I don't bother trying to figure out which way I need to go to get out of this freaking labyrinth. I just have to hide.