38. Dinner

Author's Note: Hey, guys!! If you're enjoying the story so far don't forget to vote or comment to show support!! It really helps me out! Thank you and read on (:

As soon as we get back to the manor, Cassius has slaves take over to get me ready for dinner while he disappears somewhere. It doesn't take long.

Now, I was sitting at the dining table while Cassius sat across from me sipping his blood and appearing to look at things on his phone. With the adrenaline and fear no longer pumping through me, the exhaustion of using that power and nearly dying has caught up to me and it was a chore to keep my eyes open.

I'm pushing my greens around, my eyelids beginning to droop again, when Cassius sets his phone down with a hard thunk.

I jump, sitting up straight and blinking. I meet his gaze from across the table and immediately know he's pissed. Was it at me or...

"Why'd you get out of the car?" He asks in a calm yet icy tone.

He's mad at me, I think miserably. If only I could control my power. Maybe I could blast him into nothing so I could sleep. Hell, I could blast everyone and walk out of here like a free woman. Or maybe teleport. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm thinking I'd teleport to Hawaii.

"Are you falling asleep?"

I jerk upright, surprised I hadn't even realized I'd been sagging again, my eyes closing of their own accord.

"No!" I lie.

His mouth quirks. "Am I boring to eat with?"

I glare, annoyed by his question. Well, we've been sitting here for almost an hour with me eating like a slug in silence while you sit on your phone ignoring me so, yeah, you're boring as hell.

I shrug. "I was just... thinking."

Cassius stands up and I tense as he moves to the seat directly to my right. He pulls the chair out, facing it towards me, and sits down with his legs spread, hands braced on either knee as he leans close. The smell of him, old spice and mint, infiltrates my nose and I try not to appreciate the decent fragrance. He wore a black tee with faded jeans— the most average looking outfit I've seen him in— which did nothing to help me from getting distracted by his physique. The shirt hugged his broad torso and the steel bands of muscle in his arms flexed with his position. Was he doing it on purpose?

I clear my throat but my voice still comes out sounding small and breathless. "What were those things?" It's a thought that's been swirling around in my head since we left that abandoned building.

The question was sudden and bold given he looked as if he had other intentions as to where he wanted our conversation to go. Cassius, however, tilts his head causing a stray lock of hair to fall over his brow.

"Answer my question and I'll answer yours."

It takes me a second to remember what he asked. "Um, I had to—"

"Don't lie."

I purse my lips. "I had to go to the bathroom."

Cassius sits back with a smirk. "I said don't lie."

I hold my chin up. "I'm not."

He rolls his eyes. "You don't think I tracked the course of your scent before I saved you? You were trying to escape."

I open my mouth but close it a second after. Just how acute was his tracking? Could he follow a trail or was it like Sherlock Holmes where he saw every detail too?

"I was not escaping." I repeat.

Cassius sighs, regarding me from beneath lowered lashes. "Those monsters are called moles."