35. The Light

They said Jack killed himself.

With a throat torn open by his claws that had been drenched in his blood, the body was said to be found on a balcony in one of the rooms upstairs. I don't know how Jacques and Eldric managed to erase every trace of their visit but I assumed it involved magic.

The halls were busy today with guard activity, something I found baffling given they should've been around last night. It's not until I heard one of them complaining in the kitchen that I understood why.

Keeping my head down, I accept Lora's plate of food with a quiet thanks as I eavesdrop on the vampire I guessed might be on break. He stood with my usual guards by the kitchen entry, a bottle of blood in one hand. The guy was six foot with blonde hair and a golden boy smile. He looked like someone who could've modeled for some fancy brand like Calvin Klein. I take a small bite of the asparagus on my plate so as not to look suspicious.

"Damn rogues are getting bold," Blondie grumbled, his words tinged with a Scottish drawl. "It's like they don't give a shit about the Consultants. One of those masked freaks decided to help us last night and he tore one rogue to shreds. Even his innards." The guy makes a face. "Nastiest kill I've seen in a while. It wasn't until Lord Salazar showed up that they ran like rabbits."

One of my escorts whistled low. "Did you hear anyone mention if the rogues have an underlying cause?"

Blondie shrugged. "No. Why would it matter, though? The Reverend can wipe them out easily if they wanted to. This is no different than trying to kick a stray cat off your lawn." The vampire tips his head back to finish his bottle before tossing it at a passing slave who barely managed not to drop it. Blondie's red gaze suddenly roams in my direction and I quickly avert my eyes to take another bite of my food. In a lower voice, I hear Blondie mention my name.

"Isabelle, correct?"

Someone grunts in response. "I think our lord finally had some fun with her last night."

I stiffen and my hands clench in my lap. The food in my mouth loses its flavor and I have to struggle to maintain my composure.

"Do you think he'll tire of her?"

Even without looking, I could feel their perverted eyes undressing me from across the room and I suddenly felt too sick to finish eating though I'd barely touched it. Forcing myself to swallow what was in my mouth, I push my plate away and stand. My navy blue dress drags along the floor as I walk and approach the guards. They stop talking.

I halt. Blondie snickers. "She's prettier up close." A pale hand suddenly shoots out to grab my leash and I'm tugged closer to Blondie. "Hi, there." he purrs.

"Callum." One of my guards says in a warning tone.

Blondie, or Callum, ignores the subtle threat in his tone as he leans forward to sniff my hair. His eyes flutter shut as he groans a bit. "Well, fuck."

"Callum." Strong hands take ahold of my shoulders, pulling me away from Blondie who was getting a little too close for comfort. My leash falls from his grasp. He opens his eyes and smiles.

"I have dibs for when the master is done with her." He states with a mischievous wink. I can only glare at the spot he stood after he vanishes to get back to work.

The guard behind me sighs. "Let's go."

Beatrice changed it up today. Instead of sitting inside and going over my manners in public at dinner events and other activities, she had me meet her outside in a greenhouse that I had no clue existed until now.