36. Twelfth Floor

Cassius

I stare at her sleeping form. Her brow was furrowed and her hands were folded over her chest. Last night, her hands had been glowing.

Just like in the greenhouse.

I remember my hunger. I was sure she'd give in. I set it up so I'd have no interruptions this time. She'd exposed her neck and the words were on the tip of her tongue before it happened.

A blinding, blue-tinted light burst forth from her body causing me to skid back on the ground from the force. I had to dig my claws into the stone beneath me to keep from being thrown. I'm never one to shock easily but yesterday was one of those days. She'd lain on the ground glowing like a sleeping angel from heaven. And it hadn't just been in her hands. Her whole body, even her hair which had turned into a curtain of starlight, glowed like the moon on a starless night. It was a beautiful sight but it left me speechless and with no idea what to do. It took maybe a minute for the strange light to suddenly wink out and another couple of minutes for me to regain my senses.

I had picked her up and left the garden swiftly, snapping at her guards to leave before I took her straight to my room and locked us both inside for the remainder of the day.

It is now midday of the following day and she still hasn't moved.

Sitting in the chair I'd positioned next to the bed, I lower my gaze to stare absentmindedly at a spider crawling across the floor.

She's not a Divine One. She is but she's more. Not one out of the small mortals we'd hunted and killed showed any sign of such power. They'd begged, refusing to let us drink their blood, silver Marks glowing on their brows as they were slaughtered.

Isabelle didn't have a Mark.

And, upon careful inspection, her code was gone.

The three digits were no longer on her wrist and I suspected a visit from a Consultant soon. The thought made me scowl. They'd assume I somehow removed it before turning to question her. With not one of us being able to provide a proper explanation, I knew they'd take her from me. Besides, it correlated too much with our missing blood products.

She is mine.

The possessive thought rings loud in my head and I let out a low growl. Perhaps I could take the blame. Issue it as a test for me to gain her trust temporarily before I had her re-coded.

I stand up. Yes. I'll figure it out. Keep this a secret from the others. I'll take over all her lessons and watch her like a hawk to keep the guards at bay. No one else is to witness such a spectacle as I have.

A buzzing in my pocket breaks me from my reverie and I pull out my cell to look at the ID.

Silvan.

I freeze, disquieted by the reason behind why him of all people would be contacting me out of the blue. And at such a bad time. I tap the screen and hold the phone to my ear.

"What do you want?" I snap, not bothering to hide my irritation if only to conceal my unease.

An airy chuckle drifts into my ear. "Always so hostile, dark prince?"

I remain silent.

He sighs. "Don't worry, I haven't been spying on you or anything. Alaric wishes to know if you'll be attending his mate's party. I'm simply doing him a favor by checking in."

I smirk. "So you're watching me right now?"

"Yes." he replies, sounding bored.

I hold up a hand to the air and flip the bird. Silvan snorts.