8. Ground Rules

Cassius

There needs to be some ground rules.

Number one: Don't ever keep me waiting.

I sit at my desk, a permanent scowl on my face as I continue to glance at the door to my office. Eve came to me not too long ago to inform me that Emmy's real name was Isabelle Grace. That was great and all but the fact is...

He left her. Unsupervised.

Now, it's been five minutes. Eve has never taken this long to do anything for me.

Number two: No wandering around the mansion.

There were rooms in this elaborate house of mine that all slaves were forbidden to enter. If caught trying to take a peek, I made it very clear that I would kill them. Even if it were on accident, they would surely die regardless. I'm not fond of the idea of killing my new slave.

Six minutes.

I sigh through my nose, returning my attention to the grueling work before me. Jacques had dropped by to let me know that I'd be sorting blood documents for another week. The devious smirk on his face told me it was no accident that the new sorter somehow died right before he was to take the job. He'd left before I had the chance to rip his head off.

A light knock shakes me from my thoughts. My head snaps forward as Eve comes gliding into the room, head bowed. My eyes narrow. I can hear it, the faint fluttering of her heart as it beats erratically in her chest just outside my door. She was stalling. My lip curls back from my teeth.

"Get in here, now."

I listen to her breathing as it picks up speed. Slowly, she enters the room. When I see her, my anger boils over the edge. I shoot up from my chair, a violent growl ripping past my bared fangs.

"What the hell is this?!" I roar.

Eve doesn't even flinch. Emmy, on the other hand, recoils from my booming voice. He'd done his job to get her changed but it looks like she'd made some modifications of her own.

The front of her bra could be seen peeking out of her blazer. Lower down, instead of the required heels I give to all my female slaves, she was still wearing her worn little boots.

Number three: Follow the damn dress code.

Her appearance is not the reason for my rage, though, it does take part in it. No, I was ticked because an all too familiar scent of something sweet and sour was violating my sense of smell.

"Eve," I say, voice sharp. He looks at me, golden eyes blank. "You're dismissed."

Emmy's head snaps up at this, her expression panicked at the fact she was now going to be left alone with me. Good. Instead of using the door, Eve disappears on the spot, teleporting. As soon as he's gone, I'm by her side in less than a split second. She lets out a surprised yelp before jumping back. I catch her by the wrist and yank her back, wrapping one arm around her waist to secure her against me. If it weren't for the fact I was still mad about Jacques's odor, the trembling girl's futile attempts to free herself would be extremely amusing to me. A ferocious snarl causes her to still. I snatch her chin with my free hand, my fingers aching with the effort to keep my claws retracted.