7. Slave

Eve barely said a word after that. He led me through a labyrinth of a house, down corridors and past several unmarked rooms. I could scarcely imagine one person making use of each one. If any of them were as depressing as Cassius's room, it would explain why he's so cruel. He is in desperate need of a new designer.

At long last, we stop before a set of oak doors the color of burgundy. For once, these doors are labeled with a plaque made of what looks to be ebony stone. Two silver words were engraved in the center.

Slave Quarters.

I take a step back as Eve opens one of them. Without any light, the room remained inconspicuous with shadows.

"I'm not a slave." I say, lifting my chin. Eve looks back at me, a flicker of interest in his otherwise vacant eyes.

I jab a finger at the darkened room, shaking my head. "This is sick and I am, in no way shape or form, going to go through with whatever that perverted psycho has planned for me."

Eve tilts his head. "You don't have a choice, Miss Grace."

I stay where I am. The young vampire sighs, holding the door open further. "Unless you want me to suffer dearly for failing in the simple duty of dressing you, I implore you to cooperate."

My obstinacy falters. "What?"

He regards me like an old man might regard an ignorant child even though, ridiculously enough, he was the child. Or, at least that's what he looked like. It was obvious he was wiser beyond his years just by the intelligent gleam in his aurelian orbs. When he speaks next, he enunciates each word slowly as if to help me understand exactly what he's saying.

"My Lord will punish me severely if I fail to do what he asks of me. It would not matter that you would be to blame. After I'm punished, I'm sure he will think it punishment enough for you if he were to carry out the task himself."

The blood drains from my face at the thought of Cassius getting me dressed. I knew without a doubt that he would draw out the time that I'm to be undressed so that he could have his way with me. I bow my head and step through the door.

My heart immediately starts to race inside the blackened room once Eve closes the door. Trying hard not to fall into one of my phobia attacks, I wait for Eve to turn on the light.

"Why are you just standing there?" His voice comes from behind me, sounding bored. I grit my teeth.

"I. Can't. See."

Instead of turning on the light, Eve seems to hover closer and the hairs on my neck rise. "Your heart sounds like a thousand hooves racing through the fields. It's very... appealing."

"Can you please turn on the light?" I ask. I sound like I'm about to start hyperventilating. His siren voice murmurs right into my left ear.

"Are you afraid of the dark, Miss Grace?"

Listening to a child's voice in the dark was not helping me to control my fear. Unable to respond, I merely nod my head, assuming he can probably see me. I feel a feather-like touch on my cheek.

"Interesting." He mutters quietly.

The room floods with light and I sag with relief. Above me, a crystal chandelier glows, the light shattering across the domed ceiling in rainbow shards. I'm surprised to see that the room isn't some dungeon with cobwebs and stone walls. In fact, it's actually more like a master suite. Unlike Cassius's depressing chambers, this room is themed with the colors of ivory and white. Bleached wood floors, a massive rug that looks like it was shaved off the top of a cloud, long curtains that fell to the ground in creamy folds. Instead of one bed, several small cots, simple and white, were laid out on one side of the room. It made me think of an infirmary. That was to my right. To my left, the room transformed into an open space utilized for getting yourself dressed and ready for the day. There were four vanities, three wardrobes, and a handful of folded dressing room dividers leaning against the wall. Another set of doors, these ones white, sat closed and unmarked.