44. I'll Find You

I don't even make it two steps before a large, hairy arm slams into my side sending me flying over the table and into the glass doors. I hear my head crack against the thick glass before I'm slumping to the floor in a daze.

Thump, thump, thump. Acheron's steps were heavy as he crossed the room. His paws came into view. He had long wolf feet ending in black talons the length of my hand. I watched his toes curl to leave deep scratches in the floor.

"When I heard the prophecy from that drunken whore, I couldn't believe there would be a human with your power. I refused to even." His shadow falls over me as he crouches down on all fours, hands that were still human-like coming to rest much too close to my face.

He was a monster from one's nightmares. I couldn't help but look at him as he ran a deadly finger down my ribs, probably imagining slicing them open. "And to think you turned out to be a silly little girl as well."

His hand engulfs half my arm, the arm that used to have my code. I blink out of my daze as he opens that massive snout, saliva dripping from his pink tongue.

"NO! LET GO!" I scream, kicking at his body while pulling at my arm but to no avail. Acheron's grip tightens to the point that my bone feels as if it might snap and I yell in desperation as his wet tongue licks my wrist. He couldn't see. He couldn't see that I didn't have a code because of my sleeve and the bracelets Valaria put on me. I watch his maw widen some more as he eases my hand and wrist past his glistening teeth.

"Wait! Please-"

He chomps down.

The room explodes with light.

BOOM!

I almost can't believe it even when I know it's happening right before my eyes. It happens fast. One second, Acheron's teeth are just scraping my skin, the next, his body is being thrown by a force that blows him straight through the stone table, cracking it in two, and into the wall where the tv explodes in sparks. His massive head lifts and a gruesome smile peels the skin back from his teeth and gums.

"There it is," he growls.

My arms were glowing, blue-white embers of light swirling around me in an angry whirlwind. It dawns on me that Acheron knew. He knew all along. His act of biting me had been a test to bring my power out.

I pale and scramble to my feet before shoving at the door behind me with all my might. The heavy glass eases open after what feels like a minute of me struggling before I manage to slip through. A thundering rumble of laughter chases me as I break into a run before I hear the wolf's voice boom through the walls.

"RUN, RUN, LITTLE GIRL. THE BIG BAD WOLF IS COMING FOR YOU!"

I grit my teeth and pump my arms, picking up speed as I bolt for the stairs. Behind me, I hear a crash that sounds like Acheron must've shattered the glass doors.

I'm dead.

Cassius

Where was she?

I scan the crowd once more but I already know she's not here.

"Might I ask why you've been standing there with your head swiveling about like some owl?" A bored voice interrupts, snapping my concentration away from the dance floor. I turn to find Lasivis Silvan watching me, his eyes hidden under a dark pair of shades. His white hair seemed to droop along with his head as he looked down at me. Seeing him reminds me of my little trick I'd played on Isabelle in the library. It was his image I'd used to deceive her.

I scowl. "Lend me your eyes. I'm trying to find my pet."

Lasivis arches a brow before turning to look out over the crowd but I knew his gaze covered far more than that. He was the Night Lord of Sight. His vision could go anywhere. It only takes a moment before his eyebrows lift and I hear him inhale the slightest bit. For him, that little intake of breath meant he must've seen something that shocked him.