43. The Beast

"Drink this."

I eye the glass of clear liquid with suspicion. Jacques shoves it under my nose and I cough when a pungent bitterness wafts up my nostrils. I go to swipe it out of his hand but he swiftly avoids my reach, skillfully keeping the drink from spilling as well.

He is the devil, that Cassius, I thought bitterly.

The humiliation I felt beneath the Consultant's gaze pushed me to wish with all my might for the floor to open up and swallow me whole. As soon as it dawned on me that I was practically draped over Cassius like some wanton whore, I jerked my hands off him as if he were made of fire. Scrambling off his lap, I'd stumbled away, frightened by the fact my body still yearned for his touch. Jacques managed to bid farewell after promising to keep an eye on me before I met him midway around the table and we hurried down to the main floor, a pair of silver eyes following us the whole time.

I'd glanced back only once to see the Consultant leading Cassius over to a set of double doors that led elsewhere, probably to some hidden office or other. Once Cassius was no longer a concern, Jacques pulled me from the ballroom down a hall lined with closed doors. This corridor was just as large and sophisticated as the dance hall with a gilded interior befitting of a king. We passed paintings I knew without asking probably cost over millions of dollars. The silver-haired vampire holding my wrist didn't even spare them a glance. He found a room, thrust me inside, and closed the door before locking it.

Now, I sat on a low couch leaning over while I panted like a dog in heat.

"Jacques..." I moaned.

He swore, moving faster than I could see, to set the glass on a nearby coffee table and replace it with a metal bucket he seemed to pluck out of the air. He thrust the pail under me just as I bowed over to heave what little I ate back up. With that fan still held over his face, all I could see were his eyes glaring at me.

"Take the damn drink, you stupid girl!" he hisses.

The pail vanishes from sight and he's giving me the glass once more. "That food is prepared in a room permeated with an aphrodisiac that sinks into it. The purpose is to heighten your sexual desire and erase your normal sense of judgment so that your immortal partner may enjoy you thoroughly. This drink counters the aphrodisia so drink."

I take the cool glass with trembling fingers before lifting it to my lips and taking a sip. Despite its unpleasant aroma, the liquid was tasteless. I dip my head back and swallow it in two swigs.

As the fluid made its way down my esophagus, a tingling sensation spread throughout my body and I shuddered, feeling the urge to itch. I cough, grabbing at my throat when the feeling intensifies before cool fingers touch my brow.

Jacques grunts, "Aldiv neth."

The itching ceases. I blink, lowering my hands as I sit up carefully. The heat, the heavy need...

It was gone.

The silver-haired vampire waves his hand and a glowing light appears before racing skyward to sink into the sparkling crystals hanging from the chandelier above our heads.

I'm finally able to see the rest of the room.

Marble floors, ivory walls, gold decor; for every piece of furniture, a mythical beast of some sort was carved into the leg, the drawer, the side. Even the bed, a white monstrosity of silk and fur, had framing carved to look like nymphs holding up a wreath of gold ivy.

I'm beginning to notice a theme in this strange house. As if reading my train of thought, Jacques motions to the Greek-like design.

"Alaric Erasmus was born in ancient Greece and is a firm believer in Mount Olympus as well as the gods," he says, rolling his eyes. "Back in his time, he was treated as a deity by the people. They believed he was sent by Zeus himself to bless them and whatnot. He still thinks he has god-like blood in him."