Chapter Twelve

T W E L V E

When I finally came back from the darkness, my hospital room was dimly lit and there were gifts all over. I tried to sit up but it was as if my body was a sack of bricks and I could barely lift my head. The monitors began to tick loudly and I turned to see that my heart was beating so damn fast.

I groaned in pain and when I went to clutch my stomach I felt a slight bump. Not an 'I ate too much' bloated belly but it was slightly hard and unmoving even when I tried to suck it in.

"What the fuck?!", I yelled angrily.

The loud snores that I had been trying to ignore suddenly came to a stop and I looked up to find that my annoying asshole of a husband was now sitting up running his hands through his hair. I rolled my eyes as he stretched and finally set his eyes on me.

"What's wrong, Sweetie?"

"Don't call me Sweetie. You can call me Alexis. Only people I like can call me that."

"Okay...", he held his hands up in surrender. "Do you want me to get the doctor?"

I nodded.

I wanted to find out what was going on with me and hearing how all of this was going from my doctor would help me see how bad it was.

When the doctor came in, a nurse followed with this huge machine and my eyebrow lifted. Tara noticed and immediately began to explain that she was just checking to make sure everything was looking good and that nothing was wrong.

"Why the machines?", I wondered aloud.

"I see your husband hasn't told you what is exactly going on," Tara started. "We need to go in and check on the baby again. That's why we hooked you up to an extra monitor because we wanted to track the baby's heartbeat as well."

"Baby?! What fucking baby?! I'm not pregnant!", I yelled annoyed now with Tara. She gave Tig a look but let the nurse continue with what she was doing.

After a couple of seconds, the nurse moved closer and I let her do whatever it was she was going to do. I wanted to see this "baby" they were referring to. As soon as the little bubble moved, my eyes began to water with tears and I turned my head away. Unfortunately the nurse was not going to let me forget this experience because she turned on the sound and the baby's heartbeat took over the room. My skin crawled as chills ran up and down my spine.

I shut down.

|<>|

"Hey, you ok?", a soft voice questioned me and I finally glanced up to see Mickey standing by my bedside with a look of concern

I shrugged.

What was I going to do? I was replaying my baby's heartbeat in my head and it sounded like...

"Are you going to keep it?", she asked.

I closed my eyes and felt the hatred for this man just disappear. I didn't want to have a kid with that asshole but I never in a million years saw myself as the type to abort my unborn child. I couldn't just pretend my baby wasn't mine as I let it die. There was no way I was mentally stable for an abortion but I damn sure didn't want my child growing up seeing how mistreated their mother would be by these fucking people.

"It's a lose lose, Mick. I just want to sleep."

"Scoot over, Sweetie. I'll cuddle with you until you fall asleep. I know this news will be heavy on your heart and it takes some time to sleep after hearing traumatic news," Mickey sounded like the doctor that she would be in the future. She said that she not only wanted to know her patients physical health but their mental as well. I liked that about her. "Plus I don't have nothing else planned for today so enjoy me."

I laughed before letting her climb into the hospital bed alongside me not even paying attention to the fact that my husband had been missing since I heard the baby's heartbeat.

If he makes me spend this pregnancy alone, I swear I'm cutting off his dick and feeding it to some stray cats!