Chapter 3

*Freya's P.O.V*

Daniela decided to accompany me in fly form for most of my morning duties, a few of her flies resting on my shoulders or my hair while she was off doing other things. I was stuck in the kitchen for the first half of the day, helping by doing the dishes and making the side dishes. I wasn't allowed to help with the main course, told by both Natalie and Daniela that it was not something I should be dealing with.

Natalie spent her spare time trying to prepare me for how to act around Lady Dimitrescu, mainly talking about my manners and how I spoke with the Lady. Daniela had buzzed a few times when she thought that Natalie was being rude but otherwise remained silent, seeming to agree with what she was saying and not how she was saying it.

"It's time," Natalie said as she handed a tray to me when the clock chimed. "When you pour the Lady's drink, do not inhale because the smell of it is not pleasant," she informed me, making me nod. I had an idea of what was in the flask she gave me, I wasn't stupid after all but I would listen to her advice.

I made my way out of the kitchen, holding the tray tightly as I focused on not dropping it. It wasn't that heavy but I wasn't used to carrying trays around. Imagine if I dropped it, Lady Dimitrescu may just send me to the cellar for breaking her teacups.

I squeaked when I turned the corner and ran into someone, sighing in relief when the person grabbed the tray before I could drop it. "Be careful," the voice was soft and held a coldness to it, making me look up.

"I...I'm sorry Miss Bela, it was an accident," I stammered out as I looked down at the floor, feeling Daniela's flies buzz softly.

"I could tell," Miss Bela said as she handed the tray back to me, studying me closely. "Daniela, Mother wants you to go train with Cassandra and to stop bothering the maids," she said, simply causing the flies to buzz slightly. They flew off of me and a swarm of flies came from down the hallway, Daniela forming from them.

"I wasn't bothering her," Daniela said simply as she stared at Miss Bela with a frown. "I must go my little fairy, it would not be wise to anger my mother so close to you being in her study," Daniela turned to me, kissing the top of my head before she dissolved in a swarm of flies and flew away. I flushed from the show of affection before my attention was gathered by Miss Bela who cleared her throat.

"I shall show you the way to Mother's study," she said simply, turning around and walking away. I hurried after her, my cheeks still burning from the fact that Daniela had shown me affection and she had shown me affection in front of her sister of all people. I quickly noticed that Daniela and Miss Bela were polar opposites.

Miss Bela was calm and composed, graceful beyond belief while Daniela had a sort of clumsiness to her walk. Miss Bela didn't have a speck of blood on her face whereas Daniela usually had blood covering her face. Daniela had more warmth to her though, always smiling no matter her mood which was slightly terrifying. In my months of working here, I had never seen Miss Bela show an ounce of emotion.

"Staring is rude," Miss Bela said simply, her voice cold. I looked at the floor, tearing my gaze away from her as my cheeks heated back up. I hated the fact that I was so easy to make blush, it constantly led to people knowing just how to tease me to get a reaction.

"I apologize Miss Bela," I said quietly as I desperately wished my hands were free so I could have something to fiddle with, something like a strand of my hair or a ring.

"You are forgiven," Miss Bela said as she paused in front of a large door, the ornate carvings on it made me realize that it was Lady Dimitrescu's study. "May I ask a question?" she asked as she turned her gaze to me, her eyes staring into my soul.

"Of course Miss Bela," I nodded as I stared into her eyes, feeling entranced by her gaze.

"Why does Daniela like you? Nothing about you makes you stand out from the other maids but for some reason she cares for you greatly," Miss Bela stated.

"I don't know what you mean Miss Bela, I have no clue what makes Miss Daniela have an interest in me," I replied.

"I think you do," Miss Bela said as she stepped forward, making me shrink back. "She wouldn't read to you or consider you family if you weren't special. So I ask again, what makes her like you?" she questioned.

I froze, my heart thrumming in my ears when I realized that Miss Bela had somehow overheard the conversation that Daniela and I had last night. "I don't know, it's not like I asked for her to take such an interest in me," I whispered as I lowered my head, my voice shaking slightly.

"Perhaps you tell the truth, this time," Miss Bela said as her gaze raked over me for a moment before she stepped away. "I'll leave you to attend to your duties," she said as she knocked on the door before dissolving into a swarm of flies and swarming away.

"Come in," a voice said, carrying through the door. I balanced the tray with one hand as I turned the doorknob. I kept my gaze down as I entered the room, turning around to shut the door before I hesitantly looked up. I found the table Natalie told me about quickly and went to it, setting the tray on it carefully.

I carefully looked up, my eyes scanning over the desk. My eyes quickly found her golden ones and I bit back a gasp from the shiver that ran down my spine. I averted my gaze quickly to the tray, pouring Lady Dimitrescu her drink since Natalie told me that she liked to have it as soon as possible. The acrid smell of metal drifted up to my nose as I brought the cup to Lady Dimitrescu and handed it to her. Her fingertips brushed against mine and I fought back the shiver that threatened to run down my spine.

My eyes followed her hand as she took a sip of the drink, my leg shifting nervously. "It is adequate for your first time, next time do not fill it up as much," Lady Dimitrescu said, making me nod. I actually relaxed slightly knowing that she wasn't angry with me, I had done good enough to not make her upset. Today was going to be a long day, I just knew it.