Fae au or something, idk

Crescent tapped the end of his quill on his desk, trying to figure out what to write about for the project he'd been given by his teacher. He was supposed to write about something that could be seen as dangerous, and then try and convince the reader that it wasn't.

The problem was he had no idea what that something might be.

Crescent sighed, putting the quill away. He decided he'd work on it tomorrow. No point in wasting energy on something like this. Not when he had plenty of time to do it.

Once he had finished cleaning up, he headed down to the kitchen for dinner. Swap was flexible and didn't mind if he came down late, but if Crescent didn't come down by the time the sun started to set, he'd get worried. Swap already had enough to worry about, he didn't need to add to that.

"Crescent, there you are," he said, looking up at him as he entered the room. Crescent gave a tired wave in response and sat down in front of the counter. 

"Swap, I have a question," he started.

"Eat first, questions later," he cut in, placing a bowl of soup in front of him. The other sighed softly and began eating as Swap went back to washing the dishes. 

He had finished about half before pushing the bowl away and looking towards the older again.

"What was dad like?" he asked. Swap stiffened noticeably, but Crescent decided to continue, "Mom's tried to tell me before, but Uncle Dream always stops him." 

"It's getting pretty late, isn't it?" Swap said, "you should get to bed now."

"But-"

"You took your medicine, right?" Swap continued, drying his hands off.

"Well, yeah, but Swap-" 

"Alright, then go to bed," Swap said, cutting him off. Crescent sighed.

"Goodnight," he said softly. He wasn't going to get the answer out of Swap, that was for sure.

"Don't forget to lock your door," Swap called out. 

"I won't," he mumbled, making the trip back to his room. He locked the door like Swap asked him to and then flopped into bed, staring up at the ceiling. 

He felt exhausted, but he couldn't sleep. He had too much on his mind.

They were hiding something, Crescent was sure of it. But what?

No one ever talked about his dad, and they always made excuses. His father's room was always locked, and he wasn't allowed inside. It was frustrating. All he knew about his father was that he had also had an illness, and it had killed him. 

There was the library, of course. 

During one of the few times he'd come over, Ink had accidentally let slip once that there were some paintings in the library. Supposedly, they showed the family history and his uncle had wanted to hide them, but couldn't bring himself to get rid of them completely.

Crescent would ask Ink for more information, but he was pretty sure his uncle knew he'd try and figure out what had happened at some point, and decided to inconvenience him in the most passive-aggressive way possible. 

Ink wasn't allowed to visit anymore, and the library was on the other side of the castle from where his room was. He'd get caught before he came close.

. . .

Crescent hadn't even realized he'd fallen asleep until he'd been woken up by something. He sat up, looking around his room.