That time the air conditioner broke in the middle of Summer

Gradient tugged at the collar of his shirt, trying to cool down as he attempted to fix the air conditioner himself. He'd decided he'd give it a try for a little while, and then give up and go find Crescent.

Gradient plugged the AC in and then turned it on, only to be blasted by hot air. He quickly shut it off and sighed.

Well, it seemed it was time to go find Crescent.

He shoved the tools into the box and decided to just leave them there for someone else to clean up, before heading to the room he and his boyfriend shared.

"I'm guessing you couldn't fix it," Crescent stated, not looking up from his phone.

"No."

"Well, that's too bad," he replied. Gradient sighed, flopping onto the bed next to him.

"I feel like I'm dying," he whined.

"Do you want nice cream?" the other asked.

"Please!"

"Chocolate, right?"

"I don't care what flavour it is, just please get me something!"

"K, I'll be right back," Crescent said, putting his phone away and leaving the room.

Gradient stared up at the ceiling, trying to ignore the headache he was getting from all the heat. Of all the times the air conditioner could break, it had to be at the worst time of the year.

Part of him wished he was back at the Anti-Void, which was naturally freezing. That part was quickly overruled when Crescent came back with a bowl containing his frozen treat.

"Thank you! You're the best," he said as he sat up to take it.

"It's just nice cream," he mumbled.

"Exactly!" he exclaimed, as he began eating it.

"What's it taste like?"

"You know what chocolate tastes like," Gradient said, not very willing to share right now.

"Yeah, but I've never had nice cream."

"You haven't?!"

"No... I'm cold-souled, remember? Eating cold things is just asking to get myself sick." Gradient blinked.

"You're cold-souled?" he asked.

"Did I... not tell you?" Crescent murmured.

"No, you didn't. But now it's so obvious! That's why you didn't notice when the AC broke!"

"Yeah," he said, seeming unsure of himself. Gradient suddenly had a moment of realization.

"You're cold-souled," he repeated.

"Yeah, we've established that," Crescent said. "You should probably finish your nice cream before it melts."

"This is the one from Outertale, right? The one that doesn't give brain freeze?" he asked.

"Yeah. Mom uses it to cool down fast too," he replied. "He'll start shovelling it into his mouth like he's a teenage girl after a breakup."

Gradient hummed in thought for a moment, before shoving the rest into his mouth, getting a startled laugh from Crescent.

"Crescent," he said.

"Yes?"

"You seem like you'd make a nice pillow. I'll give you the count to three," he replied with a grin, summoning his strings.

"You wouldn't."

"One..."

"Gradient, I know you're stubborn but let's talk about this."