Hey, wanna know how they started dating? Then get ready for emotional damage :)

Gradient liked to think he was someone who didn't get angry easily.

When they'd first met, Crescent had tried very hard to piss him off.

That wasn't even a joke.

Gradient had caught him in an AU. He had recalled what his mother had said about the Guardian of Negativity, so he wrapped Crescent up in his strings, before dragging him to a positive AU and blocking it off as he tried to figure out what to do next.

He knew Crescent wasn't Nightmare, but he figured they were related somehow.

The tentacles did make it obvious, after all.

During that time, Crescent had thrown as many insults as he could, personally attacking Gradient, and then when he let slip he had a brother, he'd switched to insulting PJ instead.

It had taken every fibre in his body to keep from committing a murder.

Not that it helped.

Feeling the negative emotion was enough for Crescent to escape, but he'd congratulated Gradient for controlling his temper on his way out.

As you can see, neither of them were good at first impressions.

One kidnapping the other, and the other insulting his entire bloodline.

With an introduction like that, Gradient never would have thought the two of them would ever become friends.

Or that Crescent would ever be willing to take a hit for the other.

Or that Gradient would nearly destroy his first AU trying to catch the bastard who did it.

But that's what happened.

After all that, Gradient had felt completely drained. His outburst had been enough for the other to last for a while, but he'd moved to a negative AU where Crescent could recover.

Currently, they were in Flowerfell, Crescent comfortably hanging from the strings next to him, with more strings wrapping around his ribs like bandages as Gradient attempted to wash the blood out of his friend's jacket.

Friend. The idea of them being friends was something he'd have to get used to.

Crescent had always seemed to keep himself at a distance.

He didn't hurt Gradient, not physically. But he would always take an opportunity to make someone upset. It was on rare occasions that he joked around, and it was usually to put Gradient down in some way.

Gradient had always assumed that he only stuck around for negativity, but if that was the case, he wouldn't just jump in front of a knife to protect the other.

A knife wielded by Storyshift's Chara and made of determination.

His glitches would have fixed the damage, and gotten rid of the backlash from the determination that might have got into his monster soul. He'd just be in pain for a while.

Crescent knew that, he'd watched how the glitches pushed his arm back into place when he'd broken it once after falling out of a tree.

So clearly, there was some miscommunication between the two.

One simply does not endanger themselves for someone they don't care about, as Crescent had once put it while eating popcorn after Gradient tried to get him to make Betty from killing XChara.

. . .

"Crescent, you're a fricking idiot," he grumbled, for the millionth time that day.