This one might be weird but I am proud of it, so you can't judge part 2

A/N: The power of angst compels you :)

The first few weeks Crescent had started staying in Gradient's house consisted mainly of trying to memorize his surroundings.

Even if Gradient insisted on being by his side at all times, Crescent still wanted to be able to find his way around by himself.

"I can't just wake you up every time I want a midnight snack," he'd said.

Gradient couldn't really think of an argument to that so he agreed. And maybe he also thought it was a little cute that Crescent wanted to be so independent.

He just led him to the basement door and told him not to go down there.

He said it was basically just for storage and there were too many tripping hazards. That even he tripped over the stuff he left down there all the time.

He... wasn't exactly lying. The basement was the best place to keep the dead bodies. Crescent didn't need to know about those.

Once Crescent deemed himself confident enough in his surroundings, he started going on little adventures by himself, much to Gradient's dismay.

He'd hide away for hours and Gradient hadn't figured out the reason until recently, when he finally found Crescent sobbing in the broom closet.

"Hey," he said softly. "Hey, what's wrong?" Crescent flinched and although he didn't- couldn't look up at him, he lifted his head from his knees slightly.

"N-nothing, it's stupid," he mumbled. "Please go away..." Gradient frowned, moving closer and sitting down next to his friend.

"I'm sure it's not stupid," he replied, slowly placing his hand on the other's shoulder. "Tell me what's wrong."

Gradient's father always had told him that if he wanted something, he'd have to be able to keep it safe. He'd been trying to make sure his home was perfectly safe for the blind skeleton and if he missed something, he needed Crescent to tell him.

Crescent's tendrils started curling around Gradient, most likely trying to figure out how far he was before he settled his head on his shoulder.

"I miss my mom," Crescent whispered finally. Gradient blinked.

"How is that stupid?"

"I- I should be over it... just- just like dad is..."

"If it helps, I also miss my mom and I didn't really know him that well," he said.

Mainly because he ran away from their family. Gradient's father had been pretty upset about that for a while, but it's not like he'd known his mother would suddenly gain free will and decide to run out the door like that.

Crescent wouldn't do that though. He still had free will, of course. But he also knew he wouldn't get that far and the only reason he wasn't hurt the first time was pure luck.

"It- it's my fault he's gone," Crescent whispered with a sob that made Gradient's heart break. "He- he gave me h-his magic and now he's gone and it- it's all my fault..."

"It's not your fault," he said. Crescent let out another sob, shoving his face into Gradient's side. So Gradient repeated it. "It's not your fault."

They stayed like that for a while. Gradient wasn't exactly sure about what to do, but Crescent seemed to like hugs a lot, so he just kept his arms wrapped around him.

Though, Gradient eventually got tired of sitting on the floor, so he convinced Crescent to come to the living room and sit on the couch with him.

He stopped crying after a while, but he still looked really sad and Gradient didn't know how to fix it.

"If you don't mind me asking," Gradient started slowly. "What brought this on all of a sudden?"

"It- it's my birthday today," Crescent mumbled.

"That's great...?"

"Today is the day mom died too..."

"Oh..." That was not great.

"U-usually... dad takes me to mom's- mom's grave and we spend the day there..." he continued. "I miss him..."

"I know you do," Gradient replied. "But I can't go to town without someone trying to kill me, and I don't want you to go back by yourself." Crescent hummed, closing his eye sockets.

"You can say you like me too much to let go. You don't have to lie."

"I-"

"I like you too," he mumbled, making Gradient's cheeks flush. "You don't yell at me." That killed his embarrassment almost immediately.

"What? Who yelled at you?" he asked.

"Dad doesn't like it when I cry," he said softly. "Makes him upset."

"That... doesn't make sense?"

"He just... wants me to be happy. I- I'm just-"

"It's perfectly normal to grieve," he said. Mother usually said it was normal to feel, but he needed to be a little more specific for Crescent right now. "You shouldn't feel bad about... about feeling bad."

"I... I guess you're right," Crescent mumbled.

"Of course I am," he said. "Now would you like me to make you a cake to cheer you up since it's your birthday?"

"Not really..."

"Oh okay then." Maybe Crescent just didn't like birthdays.

"I just... I wanna stay here," Crescent whispered. "I don't- don't want to do anything today..."

"That's alright," he replied. "We can stay here."

It was a good thing, really. If Crescent wanted to stay, then that was less work for Gradient.

He didn't have to do anything to get Crescent to stay where he could keep an eye on him and if he did what the other wanted, then he might open up to him more. And if he opened up to him... well, that would make it easier for Gradient to keep him safe.