After years of looking, I finally found them

A/N: I found Dreamswap Crescent and Gradient! (You can see them above if you click on it)

I know technically they don't exist canonically, but I want to write about them anyway and since there isn't much else on them except for this one reference sheet, I can shove as many headcanons in as I want >:)

.•.•.•.•.

Gradient didn't really talk to his parents. Ink made it clear he wanted nothing to do with Gradient and had always been yelling at him and his mother until he had enough one day and kicked them out of the house. Gradient would always hate him for that. He loved Error, but he always looked like... well, it was like taking care of Gradient pained him in some way but he didn't want to show it.

He wasn't jealous that Crescent still talked to his mother, he just... it made him sad. Why couldn't he have that? What did he do wrong?

While he never told Crescent anything, the other always knew when he was upset and he might have begun to put the pieces together. Maybe he already had but hadn't said anything.

He was the only one who seemed genuinely concerned about Gradient's feelings and the one time he tried to help, he pushed him away. Crescent didn't deserve that and Gradient felt lucky that he didn't end up moving out entirely.

Then again, Crescent was too nice for his own good, so maybe he shouldn't have been surprised.

However, since they started opening up to each other - which was really just Crescent seeking him out when he was lonely and Gradient pretending to be fine and that he didn't know the other could sense his emotions - he was beginning to learn that there was more to Crescent than just being a nice person.

He wasn't above a little trickery to get what he wanted, if the movie night he suggested a while ago to get Gradient to stop overworking himself said anything.

He was also a walking fire hazard in the kitchen and Gradient was starting to think it was on purpose with how enthusiastic he was when he suggested this idea.

'What do you mean we should set a fire at Ink's house?!' he signed frantically. Crescent blinked, confused and Gradient repeated himself again, but this time much slower.

"Well, you've been upset lately," Crescent started, speaking slowly as he concentrated on his hands, attempting to sign the words as well. Gradient had already told him he didn't need to, but he always tried anyway. He said it helped him get better at understanding. "And when I got upset as a kid, Mom would always take me out to set a fire at my uncle's house. So I thought, maybe we could do the same?"

Remind Gradient who thought it was a good idea to let Nightmare become a single parent?

'Okay, but why Ink's house, specifically? Why not just a random one?" Gradient asked.

"Mom said that's half of the magic," he replied with a shrug that messed up his signing, though he didn't notice. "If it's the house of someone you really hate, or someone who hates you, then it'll work twice as well and you won't even feel bad."

'Yeah, but-'

"Besides, I hate Ink too. He's stupid but refuses to admit it. Those kinds of people are the worst."

Crescent seemed to have made up his mind with this...

'Is nothing I say going to change your mind about this?'

"No, not really... unless you feel really uncomfortable with it," he replied, looking away. "I- I won't force you. I just.. wanted to have some fun with you..."

'No, it's okay, don't be upset! We can go!'

"Yay! Thank you, Gradient!" he exclaimed. "You won't regret it!"

Gradient sighed softly. And he had thought he was the bad influence here.

'When are we gonna do this?'

"Right now, if that's okay? It's getting dark, so no one will see us and I have everything we need," he replied.

'How long have you been planning this?' Gradient asked.

"Since this afternoon?" Crescent replied, walking off. Gradient followed.

'But wouldn't it take a while to compile the stuff for... literal arson?' Gradient asked, stopping at the door, even after Crescent beckoned him in.

"Not too long," he replied, opening his closet and moving his clothes out of the way. "You just have to buy a few matches, some gasoline... separately though. And at least a few days apart. That's what Mom always said. He was also the one who gave me this stuff, by the way."

Of course he did. Crescent always refused to leave the house unless it was at night, for some reason.

'Do you really keep this kind of stuff in your closet?!'

Unfortunately, Crescent did not see his hands move and so he just turned and smiled at him.

"Come on! Let's get going!" he said.

And so, the two of them were standing in front of Ink's house 20 minutes later. Somehow, despite it being completely dark, they were both able to see just fine. As though the moon was out tonight.

'What now?' he asked.

"I'll show you," Crescent replied. "You just gotta pour the gasoline around the house. And then throw a lit match at it. From a distance. Or you'll burn yourself and that'll really hurt."

Gradient barely restrained the urge to glance at Crescent's hands, which were covered by his sleeveless gloves. And the way his turtleneck sweater only needed a longer sleeve on one side.

He was probably just overthinking it anyway. Crescent didn't seem all that bothered by idea of flames.

'And then what...?'

"And then you teleport to the highest building you can find and watch the pretty flames."

'Almost sounds romantic,' he joked, watching as Crescent's face turned bright violet.

"That- that's not- S-stop that! We- we should get started before we get caught," he stuttered, clearly trying to change the subject. Gradient gave a small laugh.

He offered to pour the gasoline and Crescent was more than happy to oblige. He did not, however, let Gradient use the matches and insisted to do it himself.

'How did you light it in one try?' he asked.

"Uh..."

'Witch!'

Crescent stuck his tongue out at him, and then teleported the two of them so they could watch.

While Gradient couldn't say this was the best way to deal with his feelings, it did make him feel better... knowing that Ink was now inconvenienced in such a major way really helped. He probably would be willing to do it again, if only to please Crescent.