Fae AU 2 or something, idk

"Crescent?"

Crescent hummed, letting his uncle know he had his attention.

"Have you been trying to get into your father's room lately?" he asked. Crescent glanced over at him.

"No..." he replied.

"You don't sound so sure."

"I mean, it's locked and I don't know where the key is," he said simply. "I'm not gonna go in without a good plan."

"So you're planning to go in?"

"I just... I wanna know what he was like. Is that so wrong?" he asked. Dream looked at him, a blank look on his face. Then he let out a sigh.

"No... no, it's not... I get it. You're curious. I just... I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"I can't."

"Why can't you tell me about my father?!" he asked.

"Crescent."

"Can't you just tell me what he looked like, at least?"

"Crescent, please."

"What about the things he liked to do? What didn't he like?"

"Crescent, stop."

"His favourite food, at least?"

"Crescent, go to your room," his uncle cut in.

"What? Why?"

"We aren't having this discussion," he said.

"Why can't I know just one thing about him? What are you hiding?"

"Crescent, shut up!" his uncle cried out. Crescent stared at him, taken aback. "Just- just go to your room and rest, alright?"

Crescent glared at him, before turning and walking back to his room.

He'd figure out what they were up to if it was the last thing he did.

*

"Crescent..?" Gradient whispered, slipping into the room. "Crescent!" The other blinked awake, turning over to face Gradient.

"Hello," he mumbled. Gradient let out a small sigh of relief.

"How are you doing?" he asked.

"Tired..."

"Uh, that- that's okay," the fae replied. He knew Crescent was getting worse, but he didn't want him to die yet. They still had one last thing to do together. "Hey, so remember when you told me you wanted to see your dad?"

"Yeah," Crescent said softly.

"And you said there was probably a picture of him in the library?" He hummed in reply. "So let's go there and take a look!"

"It's too far..."

"That won't be a problem. I can't carry you!"

"But what... what if someone finds us?"

"I can use magic, remember? It'll be fine!" Gradient assured him.

"Okay..." Crescent said softly.

"Great! Let's get going then," Gradient replied, lifting his friend out of bed and holding him close.

Crescent really only had one dying wish. He wanted to see his father's face, even if it was just once and the fae was determined to make sure it came true.

"Library's that way," Crescent mumbled. He nodded, heading towards the direction he had pointed at.

They didn't encounter anyone on the way there. Which made perfect sense because it was nighttime, and people usually had their doors locked at this time.

Now, you may be wondering, how did Gradient keep getting inside if the doors were locked? The answer was the vents. He was still small enough to fit in them if he crawled.

But anyway, they made it to the library without any trouble and Gradient began to walk around, looking for any paintings.

"Here's one," he called out. "Look."

It was a painting of two brothers who looked almost identical. One dressed in blues and yellows, and the other in violet. They were laughing together as the one in violet pushed the other on the swings.

"That's Dream..." Crescent murmured. "So that's... my dad..."

"It says his name was Nightmare," he read from the plaque. "He looked nice. Really sweet, like you." He wasn't sure why they'd work so hard to hide all traces of him.

Crescent hummed contently.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"Of... of course," he replied, hugging him gently. "You're my friend, I'd do anything for you."

"You're... you're a good friend," he mumbled, pressing his face into his chest. "Thank you..."

"You..." he swallowed, trying to keep his voice even. "You're very welcome."

Maybe he shouldn't have gotten so attached to a mortal...

A/N: Lmao, I have no regrets :)