Snek

A/N: We're gonna have Gradient be his regular skeleton self, and Crescent as the lamia since, from what I remember, both Noot and Killer are sneks in the AU anyway. Also, Error is a skeleton since as well Errink wouldn't work out very well otherwise in terms of making children if he wasn't-

.•.•.•.

Crescent listened to the sound of footsteps walking around the 'nursery.'

A while ago, he'd made it a game to try and guess who it was before they came over to his corner of the room in an attempt to cure his boredom.

The loud and cheerful one practically bounced with confidence as she walked, but this person was taking their time and would pause frequently. So that meant the cheerful worker was out.

The doctor who came in to check on them sometimes had a weird pattern of footsteps when he walked. Which made sense, since he had a limp. This person didn't, so it wasn't him either.

The owner of the shop had obnoxiously loud footsteps, with his heavy shoes stomping on the floor. This person had quiet shoes, so it wasn't him.

The worker who'd bring in food for them had heavy footsteps, and these were light so it wasn't him either. Unfortunately.

He was hungry, okay?

So whoever was walking around was either new or adopting.

Curious, Crescent opened one eye socket as the person finally reached him.

He met a pair of red eyelights, framed by green glasses. He was looking at a dark-boned skeleton with green stripes going down their face, starting at the bottom of their pale yellow eye sockets.

Crescent opened his other eye socket and propped himself onto his elbows to get a better look at them.

No uniform.

So they were adopting.

How fun.

Crescent remembered when he used to get excited about the idea of being adopted. He'd perk up every time someone entered the nursery in hopes he'd get chosen this time.

Now, he honestly didn't care and gave a small yawn as he curled up to attempt sleep once again. It was the middle of winter, he was allowed to be sleepy. Most of the other lamias were too.

The skeleton walked away, most likely to go get someone to tell them his final decision.

Crescent gave a soft sigh, shifting over on the rock that he'd decided was his bed at some point and closed his eyes.

He was asleep for about 30 seconds when he heard rattling. He opened his eye sockets again, hissing in annoyance and bearing his fangs, only to realize the door to his confinement was being opened.

"Aren't you lucky?" the cheerful one said to him as though he hadn't almost bit her face off. "You're getting adopted today!"

He was?

He didn't get to ask, as he was picked up and placed in one of those dumb carriers. He didn't fight her off because he was more confused.

Was this really happening?

Apparently, it was, because he was soon placed in front of the skeleton he'd seen earlier. One of the workers called him 'Gradient.'

Crescent tried mouthing the word to himself, but he felt like he got it wrong somehow.

"Hello, Crescent," Gradient said to him softly. "Mocha says you're really sweet. A bit timid, but sweet."

Mocha? Oh, the cheerful worker.

Of course, she said that. She thought they were all sweet, even when they tried to attack her on purpose.

Crescent just gave a small nod, glancing around the room.

This was fine. It wasn't like the dream he'd long given up on was coming true. He was absolutely fine.

Gradient smiled at him, before turning back to the counter.

"Can we get going now?" he asked. "I did the paperwork online before coming here."

"Sure thing, just sign this form here and you can be on your way," Mocha said, dropping a blanket over the carrier and throwing Crescent into the comforting darkness he was used to.

"Great," Gradient said, scribbling loudly on whatever he was supposed to sign.

Crescent buried his face into his scales, trying to process the fact that he'd actually been chosen for once and calm down a bit. He took a few deep breaths.

This was fine.

He was fine.

"Alright, you two can get going!" Mocha declared, making Crescent jump and hit his head on the top of the carrier. He hissed, covering his skull.

"You okay in there?" Gradient asked. He let out a small noise, trying to curl into a ball. "Will he be alright in there?"

"He'll be fine. It's normal for lamias to be a bit restless when they're being transferred to new places."

I can still hear you, even if I can't see you.

"Ah, that makes sense," Gradient said. "Well, we'll be going. Thank you so much."

"Alright, take care!" Mocha called out. With that, Gradient lifted the carrier, and Crescent tried not to make any noises at the sudden feeling.

There was a short period where he felt a cold breeze through the blanket, before he placed it back down he heard the sound of a door closing.

"I live a bit far, unfortunately. I'm sorry," Gradient said, patting the top of the carrier.

Crescent shifted, trying to get comfortable and at least get that nap he wanted earlier.

It didn't work.

.•.•.•.

Mocha is one of Ccino's ship children. I thought I'd keep the theme of caring for animals in the family, you know? The owner of the store is her other parent, whose name I've kinda forgotten at the moment.

.•.•.•.

Crescent finally relaxed when the sensation of moving without actually moving stopped.

"And we're here," Gradient stated. "I'm just gonna pick you up again, so we can go inside." Crescent closed his eyes trying to stay calm and relaxed as the carrier was picked up again.

"That's what took you so long?" he heard a voice ask as soon as they entered an area of warmth.

"Yep," Gradient replied, popping the 'p' as he continued walking. Eventually, they stopped and the carrier was set down and the blanket was pulled off and the door was opened.

"You wanna come out now?"

Crescent blinked, slithering out of the carrier and rubbing his eye sockets as he attempted to adjust to the lights. It did not work and he dropped his head into his hands, trying to block out the light.

"Oh, sorry. Here," he said, switching the lights off. "Is that better?"

Crescent nodded, glancing around the room now that the light wasn't so harsh on his eyelights.

Gradient seemed to have been planning to adopt for a while... he had all sorts of things prepared in this room but what Crescent cared about most was the bed, because he was really sleepy.

"Pffft, tired already?"

"Yeah," he said flatly as he curled up.

"Oh. Alright then," he said, blinking. "I can introduce you to everyone later, then."

"Okay."

"Sweet dreams." He hummed in response, closing his eye sockets.

This seemed like a nice place. Maybe Crescent would like it here.

A/N: I'm about to post a bunch of new chapters. I went on vacation and had no games that worked without wifi on my phone, but writing stuff on Wattpad doesn't need wifi or internet :)