thirty five

It was dark outside by the time she woke up, her eyes went to the alarm clock placed beside her bed.

3.03 am. it read.

She looked around her bed and discovered that Adonis was not in the toddler bed that Adryan had purchased for him a while ago; it was spiderman themed, which Adonis enjoyed, and he didn't make a fuss to sleep with her on her bed. She wasn't worried about his sudden disappearance, for the scent of vanilla lingered in the room like a blanket and gave her an idea about his whereabouts.

Jade moved the comforter aside as she got up, putting her feet on the chilly ground, which helped a little in waking her up from her sleep-induced state. She'd woken up in the infirmary a few hours before, and the pack doctor had given his approval for her to return to the house. On the way, Jade couldn't help but notice how some pack members looked at Arther with suspicion, and some were even hostile, perhaps because he was still a rogue and carried the scent with him, and Adryan's pack wasn't kind to rogues. Regardless of their actions, Arther did an excellent job of ignoring them.

When she asked Arther where he was staying, he had told her that Adryan had arranged a room for him in the packhouse, which came across as a surprise to her since she was half expecting Adryan to kick Arther out while she was unconscious.  Adrian's mind was like a Jenga; whenever she thought she had him figured out and understood how he worked around situations, he seemed to stun her, collapsing the carefully stacked pieces of information she had spent time learning about him, destroying them within seconds.

Opening the door to her room, she climbs down the stairs following the scent of vanilla, her feet stop before a door that was left ajar, light streaming out through the crack, she realizes that it was Adryan's office, where his scent seemed to be more dominant. Peeking inside, the sight she was met with brought a smile to her face.

Adonis was sitting on Adryan's lap, who seemed to be working on something sitting on his office chair behind the desk, typing away on his laptop, Adonis held a circular paperweight in his small hands, which seemed to have his attention.

She didn't know how long she stood there, but Adryan's voice startled her.

"What are you doing up?" his deep voice rings out, Jade curses under her breath, she thought she was being sneaky by hiding her scent, not wanting to ruin the moment but it seems like Adryan had a talent for sniffing her out even when she tries to hide her scent.

Realizing that she couldn't just stand there all day, she pushes open the door, Adryan was still typing away, his glasses placed on the bridge of his nose.

"I slept through most of the day," she says, upon hearing her voice Adonis' head turns towards her direction. He smiles upon seeing her which she returns and then goes back to marvelling at the object in his hands.

"How did you know I was standing outside the door?" she asks, her curiosity getting her best.

"You didn't do a good job at hiding your scent besides I could feel your presence." He tells her, for a moment he stops typing away on his laptop, turns to stare at her for a few fleeting moments, and turns back around to continue his work.

As Jade stood there watching him work, she realized that she had never seen Adryan sleep at night; most days she would find the light in his office turned on and him behind the desk working just like he was doing right now; she wondered if he had trouble sleeping at night or if he was an insomniac...but that wouldn't be the case since she had seen him take small naps throughout the day.

"Did you want something?" he asks her when she stands there, unmoving just staring at him working.

His question reverts her back to what Arther had told her earlier on in the day. She had been curious about it ever since...before she wouldn't have asked him the question but now since he was actually asking her, she thought she might as well as him.