thirty seven

Jade stood up from her earlier seated position on the loveseat when she had entered the library after dinner, she hadn't expected to spend so much time in there, skimming for something to read, but it seemed like she was gravitating toward a genre in specific, which she didn't even know she was looking for.

Creatures of the night. The title read.

The entailed information about various creatures of the night. Ever since she those violet-coloured eyes, she was curious to know what creature those belonged to, she knew that he couldn't be a werewolf since werewolves generally had yellow, green, brown, and grey eyes, the ones corresponding to their human side, besides she had an inkling that he was something else entirely.

She moved towards the shelf where she had picked the book from, keeping it back in its original position, she made her way outside, moving towards the direction of her room where she had put Adonis to sleep earlier.

A growl halts her in her footsteps, turning to the side, she looks around her surrounding. She could tell it was dark outside, almost two in the morning with the full moon high in the sky. It was quiet outside and the occasional chirping of crickets broke the silence of the night. She strained her hearing, trying to listen for something but she came up empty. Thinking that she had just imagined it, she turns to go back. She hadn't even taken a step forward when another growl ripped through the night. the sleepiness she felt previously was wiped off in seconds because now she knew that she wasn't imagining it, for the sound was coming from inside the house.

Her feet propel her towards the direction of Adryan's room. She paused when her hands grabbed the handle, she wasn't sure if she wanted to barge into his room in the middle of the night but she dismissed that thought before she backed out. Twisting the handle, she was met with complete darkness, at first glance nothing seemed out of place except for the fact that the bed was empty. She was about to leave when she heard a low growl coming from inside the walk-in closet.

Her brows furrowed in confusion, she had visited Adryan's room countless times before, but never ventured into the closet before. She takes slow steps toward the door that led to the walk-in closet. Sliding the door open, her eyes widened as she took in the scene in front of her. The space was anything but a walk-in closet she expected to see. The grey concrete walls had scratch marks all along it, it seemed deep, whatever scratched it sure had a pair of sharp claws. A cell took almost three fourth of the space inside, it was dark inside, and the only source of light was the moonlight, which seemed to stream in through the tiny and only window in the whole room.

A groan coming from inside the cells captures her attention, and her eyes widen further when she sees the figure crumpled on the floor. What shocks her was that it was in the process of transformation. Half human and half Lycan. The bones on its back were prominent as midnight black fur appeared on the skin.

"Adryan" she called, her voice low but managed to capture his attention. He lifted his head from his crumpled position on the floor. Glowing red eyes clash against her emerald eyes. His lips were bleeding as his long and sharp canines were extended, and his already chiselled face was defined as he was half transformed, he was a mixture between being human and Lycan.

"What are you doing here?" he managed to grit out, his voice more deep than usual, it sounded more guttural like that of an animal.

"I-I" Jade seemed to be lost for words. His claws which were extended, drag along the concrete floor of the cell, she cringed visibly as she heard his bones snapping. The process seemed so painful even to watch, she couldn't even comprehend what he must be feeling. By now she had understood that he was changing since it was a full moon today, from what she read in the books from the library, she had learned that Lycans were deeply connected with the moon, causing them to transform on full moons, whereas since werewolves weren't as deeply connected, they didn't feel compelled to transform.