Theres always a guy pt 4

Go get some sleep
I love you
It's one of the things I love about you
The ceiling was too interesting to go to sleep. I laid on my back, hands over my stomach, looking at the ceiling. It was around midnight. My digital clock was blasting neon red numbers at me, shaming me for not being asleep by now. The dorm was silent. One roommate was staying with his girlfriend, the other sound asleep in her room. Peter was no doubt fast asleep, probably exhausted from todays run in.
"I need to do something." I launched myself out of my bed and walked to the dim kitchen. Only one overhead light was on, it was yellow in hue and was pretty terrible for being powered by our electricity.
I opened a cabinet and pulled out a glass cup. I walked to the fridge and poured some bottled water into the cup. I drank the entire glass and set it down on the counter wiping my mouth.
"Can't sleep?" I jumped at the voice and turned to see Peter standing behind me with his hands in his pajama pants pockets.
"Shit you scared me." I sighed
"Sorry."
"But yeah, can't sleep."
"Is it this thing I can't help you with?" I nodded and looked at the ground. "Do you want to at least talk about it?" I shook my head.
Peter walked over and sat down at the table. He patted the seat next to him.
"I said I don't want to talk about it."
"I know."
"Then why do I need to sit by you?"
"Are you gonna go to sleep?"
"No."
"Well, neither am I. So we can at least make ourselves feel better or get tired by talking to each other."
I gave in and sat next to him.
"What are we talking about?"
"Whatever you want."
"I got an a on my law test."
"That's great! I bet you feel good now, huh? You've been working really hard! You don't even need me anymore!"
"That's not true! I always need you." I replied quietly.
Peter was quiet and looked at me. He tried to scan me for some sort of answer for his questions.
"Are you upset because you're missing me? Is that what this is all about?" I told him no but couldn't completely deny that statement. "Does it have something to do with me? I know you don't want to talk about it but... I don't know... I can't help but feel it's about me."
"I..." my brain got confident. I was gonna tell him "I don't know how to say it."
"Just say it then. If you say it wrong, correct yourself. I'm always here to listen. Even if you have to backtrack."
"I... I missed you, over the summer. And when I got back, the way i felt towards you was different. Not different in a sense of a completely different feeling, just a different version of this feeling."
"Can you explain a little more? I'm still confused."
"Peter... I love you. You make me feel safe. You help me like no one ever has. You are concerned about me and you care for me. My feelings can't ignore that attention."
"I love you too."
"No Peter... I love you."
"Like... in love with me?"
"Yes."
"Oh..." Peter sat back in his chair and spoke not a word after that.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."
"No no no! Don't even think like that! How could you be sorry? You have positive feelings for me, you're in love with me. Why are you sorry?"
"Because I've made you uncomfortable. I said something weird."
"I'm not uncomfortable. It's a compliment. For someone to admit that they are in love with me is the highest compliment I could receive. And coming from someone so close to me?" He tilted my chin up with his index finger "that means a lot."
His eyes were sincere and the sparkled which made my heart sing.
"You're so pretty." I mumbled
"Well thank you."
"I can't believe I said that out loud." I hid my face in my hands but Peter wasn't having it. He grabbed my hands and pulled them away from my blushing face.
"You're just making me feel so amazing right now. First you admit your feelings for me and now you're telling me I'm pretty? My egos too high now."
"I can knock it down for you." I joked with a laugh
"Please do."
"Your jaw is uneven, your hair could use a trim cause it grows like a weed, you do this thing in class where you tap your pen on the table and it annoys the shit out of me, you take way too long to get ready, you left your cup on the counter the other day, and sometimes your clothes are really ugly."
"Wow. Even through all that you still love me?" He propped his cheek on a fist and smiled at me.
"Yeah whatever." I looked away while crossing my arms
"Oh come on." He scooted closer to me and grabbed my hands. "Don't be upset with me. Is this what you've been so sad about?"
"Yeah. I guess."
"Why?"
"Because I don't think you love me back."
"I do love you."
"Yeah but not in the way I love you."
"Well, I've never thought about it. I can't say I don't love you like that because I've never thought about it."
"So you don't hate me?"
"I could never hate you." He pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head. "You're one of the best things that's ever happened to me. Don't let anything make you think otherwise."