Chapter 16

When Bella walked into the house the smell of baked goods invaded her nostrils. The aroma around the house was heavenly

Lydia sat in a seat that both Paul and Embry had walked around even though it was the closest seat to the door. Lydia sat down and then boys sat on her right.

"You guys hungry? Like I have to ask." Emily said as she turned around with a plate of muffins in her hands. That was when Bella realized why Embry warned her.

Emily had three long lines going down the right side of face from her hairline to her chin and they extend down her right arm to her hand.

What Bella didn't know yet was that, that was what happens when a human is close to a shifter and they lose control of their phasing.

"Who's this?" Emily asked a bit apprehensive. "Bella Swan, who else?" Jared answered for Bella. "Yeah, so, you're the vampire girl." Emily said nodding her head.

"And so you're the wolf girl." Bella said back. Emily shook her head "no, that's Allison, I'm engaged to a wolf though." Emily said.

"Save some for your brothers and sisters." Emily said nudging Jared and Bry while giving them a pointed look. "Ladies first." Emily said. Lydia grabbed two muffins and then let the boys have at it.

Emily put the plate of muffins down on the table and gestured to the plate. "Want one?" Emily asked.

"Sure, thanks." Bella mumbled. "Leave it to Jacob to find a way around Sam's gag order." Emily said. Lydia grunted in agreement.

"Um, he didn't say anything to me." Bella said trying to protect her friend. "That's a wolf thing, alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want them to or not." Embry said as he munched on his muffin.

"Oh, and check it out, we can hear each other's thoughts." Embry said to Bella. Lydia and Jared looked at Embry with an exasperated look. "Would you shut up." Lydia said. Jared continued for Lydia with saying "those are trade secrets, damnit this chick runs with vampires." Jared said as he too was munching on a muffin.

"Actually, you can't really run with vampires, you know, cause they're fast." Bella said. "Yeah, well we're faster. Freaked out yet?" Jared asked.

Bella sent an almost incredulous look towards Jared "yeah well you're not the first monsters that I've met.' Bella said.

"Jake's right you're good with weird." Sam said as he walked in and walked straight over to Emily giving her face multiple kissing looking at her lovingly while she giggled.

Bella felt as if she was interrupting a private moment and looked away missing Edward. There was some shoving from outside as Paul, Jacob, and Allison walked through the doors.

Allison headed straight for the chair Lydia was in and Lydia got up letting Allison sit down before she sat on Allison's lap as if it was a practiced movement.

Allison's right hand immediately went around Lydia's waist to keep her steady while Lydia gave Allison one of the muffins she had taken.

Allison pressed a delicate kiss to Lydia's cheek before she started to munch on the muffin.

"Sorry." Paul muttered as he bit I to his own muffin and Jared reluctantly gave Embry 5 dollars when a faint pink line was seen in Paul's arm.

Bella watched the whole scene in curiosity. Jake caught Bella's eye and gestured for her to follow him. The two went on a walk towards the beach.

"So you're a werewolf?" Bella questioned. Jake winced knowing if she said that to Allison, Allison would rip Bella's head off. Allison had scars from a real werewolf and Jacob's got to admit they aren't pretty.

"Yeah, last time I checked." Jacob said. "A few lucky members of the tribe have the gene." Jacob continued to tell her. "A blood sucker moves into town, and the fever sets in." Jacob said.

"Mono." Bella said as if just realizing. Jacob smiled "yeah, I wish." He said to her. "Well, can't you find a way to just stop?" Bella asked. "I mean, it's wrong." Bell said to him.

Jacob looked at her as if she was insane as he stopped walking and turned towards her.
"It's not a life style choice, Bella." Jacob said in irritation."I was born this way, I can't help it." Jacob continued.

"You're such a hypocrite. What, I'm not the right type of monster for you?" Jacob asked.

"It's not what you are." Bella said. "It's what you do. They never hurt anybody." Bella said as if she was right and he was wrong.

"You've killed people, Jake." Bella said. "Bella, we're not killing anyone." Jacob said to Bella. "Then who is?" Bella asked Jacob.

"What we're trying to protect you people from, the only thing we do kill, vampires." Jacob said seriously.

Bella looked shocked. "Wait, Jake you can't." Bella said. "Don't worry. We can't touch your little precious Cullen's. Unless they violate the treaty." Jacob said in exasperation.

"That's not what I'm saying." Bella said. "You can't kill vampires. They'll... They'll kill you." Bella said as if she was sure that the vampires would kill him.

"Really? We took out that leech with the dreads easy enough" Jacob said. "Laurent?" Bella said surprised.

"And his red-headed girlfriend is next." Jacob said. Bella backed up surprised. "Victoria's here?" Bella asked a hint of fear in her voice.

"Was. We chased her all the way to the Canadian border the other night." Jacob said. "She keeps coming back. We don't know what she's after." Jacob said.

"I do." Bella said. "Me, she's after me." Bella said.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacob walked back into the pack house with Bella right on his heels.

"I know what the redhead leech wants." Jacob said in a growl. Sam gestured for him to continue. "She wants Bella." Jacob said.

A growl rang out from the table as Allison looked towards Jacob as if he had just committed the worst sin you could ever do.

"What?" The menace behind her voice was easily heard. "Why would the leech want my sister?" Allison asked.

"Last summer Victoria, Laurent, and James, Victoria's mate caught my scent and desired they wanted me as a snack. Or at least James did. When I broke my foot last summer that wasn't because I fell down the stairs it was because he crushed my bones." Bella said as she lifted her wrist and the pack saw a bite mark on her arm.

"You should stay on the rez more. It'll keep you safe." Jacob said starting to list the reasons of why she should stay on the rez. "It's her choice Jacob." Sam said in a stern voice.

The pack watched the scene with smirks on their faces knowing that Sam will punish Jacob later for being insubordinate.

Bella did end up coming to the rez a lot more after that conversation.